Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

bullet choice for a 7 mm

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 580
bullet choice for a 7 mm

what would be my best bullet choice for a 7mm remington mag
the nosler accubond 160gr or the hornady162 gr sst
Is there a better choice?Why?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,666
Re: bullet choice for a 7 mm

What will you be using this load for?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 580
Re: bullet choice for a 7 mm

sorry
varmit and deer sized game out to 1000 yrds (and any where inbetween sometimes less than 100
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 AM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,666
Re: bullet choice for a 7 mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
sorry
varmit and deer sized game out to 1000 yrds (and any where inbetween sometimes less than 100

After my experiences this past week I can say the 162 A-Max (from 200 yards to 1037). This was on buck and doe antelope.

I would also say the 169 Berger and or the 180 grain Berger.

IMO - The A-Max should be a little more frangible for varmints.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 580
Re: bullet choice for a 7 mm

Ernie
I thought the Amax was more for target shooting not hunting
How will it hold up at short ranges?
have allways shot the noslers (300 wsm, 300wim mag, 25-06)
with great results all around
What is the deal with the bergers Two guys I shoot with sometimes have tried them and could not get them to shoot t all (300 win mag) I dont know what or how they loaded them just they could not get a good group.
I have limited knowledge of this stuff thats why im asking you guys who knowI really like the bc on the AMAx but was affraid it would come apart at short ranges
BTW my boy shot his first deer with my 300 wsm last week 75 yrds dropped it dead.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,666
Re: bullet choice for a 7 mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
Ernie
I thought the Amax was more for target shooting not hunting
How will it hold up at short ranges?
have allways shot the noslers (300 wsm, 300wim mag, 25-06)
with great results all around
What is the deal with the bergers Two guys I shoot with sometimes have tried them and could not get them to shoot t all (300 win mag) I dont know what or how they loaded them just they could not get a good group.
I have limited knowledge of this stuff thats why im asking you guys who knowI really like the bc on the AMAx but was affraid it would come apart at short ranges
BTW my boy shot his first deer with my 300 wsm last week 75 yrds dropped it dead.
Hornady does or has recommended the A-Max for hunting big game (deer/antelope). I have used the the 140 .264 A-Max in the past with a 6.5-284 on Kansas buck with great success.
Some barrels like Bergers, while others do not. Some barrels like the A-max's, while others do not.
Nothing wrong with the Nosler AB's-Great bullets. The BC is just not as good as the bullets I am talking about. The minimum impact velocity for the Berger's and the AB's is 1800 fps.
In LR hunting you are looking for a bullet that will perform well on game and give you the least amount of wind drift.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 2,237
Re: bullet choice for a 7 mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Hornady does or has recommended the A-Max for hunting big game (deer/antelope). I have used the the 140 .264 A-Max in the past with a 6.5-284 on Kansas buck with great success.
Some barrels like Bergers, while others do not. Some barrels like the A-max's, while others do not.
Nothing wrong with the Nosler AB's-Great bullets. The BC is just not as good as the bullets I am talking about. The minimum impact velocity for the Berger's and the AB's is 1800 fps.
In LR hunting you are looking for a bullet that will perform well on game and give you the least amount of wind drift.
Good info Ernie!

If you want a bonded core bullet, the the AB is the logical choice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: bullet choice for a 7 mm
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6.5 Rem Mag bullet choice Blacktail Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 13 02-16-2012 10:14 AM
second choice bullet? 260 airstream Elk Hunting 20 07-02-2011 01:50 PM
Bullet Choice for 300 wsm Blacktail Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 8 03-15-2011 12:49 PM
Help with bullet choice for 7 mm STW Blacktail Reloading 26 10-14-2007 08:52 PM
7MM STW bullet choice ? Lonnie Long Range Hunting & Shooting 4 11-19-2003 09:24 PM

Current Poll
How Many Different Cartridges Do You Reload For?
ZERO, all factory ammo - 8.00%
349 Votes
1 - 2.80%
122 Votes
2 or 3 - 14.57%
636 Votes
4 or 5 - 20.33%
887 Votes
6 or 7 - 14.87%
649 Votes
8 or 9 - 8.66%
378 Votes
10 or more - 30.77%
1,343 Vote
Total Votes: 4,364
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC