Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bullet BC at medium range[300] yd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM

Bullet BC at medium range[300] yd

I have been studying ballistics for 20 years, and this still baffles me. Why would anybody chose a lower bc bullet at medium range.[300]yds for example. What advantage is there in a 450bc bullet at 300 yds, over a 500 bc bullet. If you have enough twist to stabalize the 500, or 600 bc bullet, then why even bother shooting a lower BC bullet. Any high bc bullet should be asleep IE stable by the time it gets to 300 yards.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet BC at medium range[300] yd

Accuracy?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with X-man out to only 300(short range). For a lot of shooting at this range I would chose flat base BR bullets, which are very low in BC, but more accurate.
For longer ranges BC does come into play more & more until it trumps short range accuracy.
This, due to wind(the true devil in LR).

Now someone out there will claim that accuracy trumps everything..
I'll just assume they shoot 6PPC at 1kyd then, and not worth a damn.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

In the old days, it had more to do with the type of bullet than the BC. You can still see some vstiges of this today between the Berger and the Barnes. Two different types of bullets. Due to the construction/materials of the Barnes, it will never have the higher BC of the Berger.

Now, I am probably going to take some flak on this, but I will say it anyway: I believe the Barnes to have substantially better terminal performance at 50 - 300 yards than the Berger. If you are going after dangereous game, or the trophy of a lifetime - and do not anticipate your shot to be over 400 yards, the Barnes (with the lower BC) wins every time in my book.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

To make gains in one area you almost always have to compromise in other areas.

If I was a point blank to 500 yd hunter I would choose a 300 WSM vs a 300 RUM and my bullet would be a 180 E-Tip vs a CE or Berger bullet which have higher BC's

The 180 E-Tip bullets below were recovered from partially frozen ground behind 400 and 500 yd targets shot from a 300 RUM. I like them because they show excellent terminal performance and they are tougher than typical copper mono's because they are made from guilded metal much like jacket material. I have also found them easy to accurately load for.

Their mediocre BC don't make them a good LR choice unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Bullet BC at medium range[300] yd-img_0423.jpg   Bullet BC at medium range[300] yd-img_0420.jpg  

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 04-24-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason frazier View Post
I have been studying ballistics for 20 years, and this still baffles me. Why would anybody chose a lower bc bullet at medium range.[300]yds for example. What advantage is there in a 450bc bullet at 300 yds, over a 500 bc bullet. If you have enough twist to stabalize the 500, or 600 bc bullet, then why even bother shooting a lower BC bullet. Any high bc bullet should be asleep IE stable by the time it gets to 300 yards.
B.C. has never killed anything! It is one of many attributes of a bullet. Although as long range hunters on a long range forum, it is ONE of the things that assists in taking game, especially at long range which I certainly wouldn't consider 300 yards to be. Remember, the primary purpose of a bullet is to perform properly on an intended target, at a given range. If the bullet has the attributes necessary to do this and it has a high b.c., by all means use it. If the bullet has a high b.c. but is too thin skinned for the target at 300 yards, use something else. For example: would you rather shoot a 1200 lb. Alaskan brown bear at 300 yards with a Hornady A-Max or an Innerbond?.......Rich
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM

i appreciate all of your comments on my thread, it has been insightful. Irealize i have always been a black and white thinker. Iam just trying to wrap my mind around how a lower bc bullet can be more accurate than a high bc. So what i get out of this is i am putting too much importance on bc, and it isn't as crucial at shorter ranges out to 300 anyway. OK so then it could be possible to shoot a better group with my 22-250 at 3800 fps and a50gr bullet at 300 yards, over say a 190 grmatchking at2500 fps in my 3006, with a15 mph wind??? any takers on that little comparison????