Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Building a rifle backwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Re: Building a rifle backwards

You guys just had to bring up the Weatherby magnums... What do you all think about the .240 wby? I do have to keep up appearances at work of only buying obscure calibers...
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
You guys just had to bring up the Weatherby magnums... What do you all think about the .240 wby? I do have to keep up appearances at work of only buying obscure calibers...

the weatherby calibers are very cool IMO I prefer the short and super short magnums because they match and sometimes beat the weatherby performance but with less powder and cheaper brass

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
I'd go .257 Wby over .240 Wby....Just my opinion.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Look at the 6mmBR or .260Win , they should be more than sufficient for target practice and the occasional yote. Weatherby Mags burn a lot more powder than necessary, if you want to get to 600m.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM

So I'm narrowing down the calibers to 6.5 but I've hit a rough spot. I already load 6.5x55 swede. Should I just build a longer heavier swede or try one of the other 6.5s like 260, 6.5-284, etc.?

FWIW my Kimber '96 seems to like 156gr Norma loads (2475fps) and my reloads 140gr game king (2620fps).
Old 09-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Try a 6.5 Sherman...

I was never really a big 6.5 fan, but since looking at the 6.5 Sherman, I'm thinking I might have to build one...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

The Kimber '96 is build on original swedish Mauser 96 actions?
If so, you shouldn't load it to modern pressure levels. Only at modern pressure levels the 6.5x55 can compete with the rest of the standard 6.5s. Since you are already loading it, you could have one build on a rem700 long action, 26-28" barrel and 140gr bergers would be a sweet combo. (Im having this build on a tikka action.)
One problem would be left, namely keeping hot loads out of the old mauser action. Since this is problem you can't solve with absolute certainty and 96 blow ups are pretty ugly, personally, i'd rather build a .260 or 6.5 Creedmore, just to make sure all parts of my hands stay attached to my body. This particular problem set aside, the 6.5x55 is the perfect cartridge for your needs.