Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

building a new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member
Re: building a new rifle

About 20 yrs ago, I wanted a 7mm-08 light weight gun. A friend sold me a Mauser 98 action with a custom bolthandle, Buehler safety, and Timney trigger for $300. I had a smith install a featherweight chrome moly Douglas barrel and Lee Six stock. I put a mini 2-7X Burris on top. I love this rifle, altho the action is heavier than I expected. It is very accurate. I would not recommend a fluted barrel. That adds about $150 to the cost and looks nice, but is not practical. I think a 700 action would work fine.

Unread 01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Silver Member
Re: building a new rifle

Thanks , Gene.

I currently have a light weight 7mm08, and looking to build a spare( I like to take 2 guns on a out of state trip, atleast) thus my reason for the caliber, to keep things simple.

I like flutted looks of them, and agree no real reason to buy other than looks, and a very small amout of lighter weight!

I had my first one built, and ordered a flutted barrel, but when I got the call the gun was ready, the smith put the WRONG barrel on it, and nOT a flutted barrel as I wanted,

But I took the gun to his range, and shot it, and was almost a one hole shooter,( and still is) as IS!

He offeder to swap the barrel for me, but it shot so good, I couldn't justify doing so. firm believer in don't screw with something that works !

and ever since then, I have wanted what I had ordered, it has been itching at me you can say,

so my quest to build another one, with what I want is now getting the better of me, need to get it out of my system, and who doesn't need another rifle?

Keep the ideas coming guys, I will not be building till late spring, so be open to hear what you all think till then.