Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Building my first LR rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Re: Building my first LR rifle

Thanks for all the responses!

The reason why I chose the Stevens action is because I can pick one up easily at $300 or just buy a whole new rifle for $400. Model 700 I would be looking at $600 used $700 new. Plus I wouldn't need to pay $200-$300 to get a smith to install the barrel. But I will give a few smiths a call to get a definite on prices.

I have a .260 Rem right now and love it, the reason why I didn't think to hard on 6.5x284 or 06 is it seems where they really shine is with the VLD's. The thing is though that it isn't an uncommon occurrence to be walking down a trail, turn a corner than five feet in front of you is a nice big black bear and the last thing you want is a bullet that is designed to fragment in a situation like that.

But as far as recoil goes I'm fine with shooting an 06 parent cartridge in a sub 7# gun. I just want to shy away from magnums.

I really like the idea of trying to do the trigger myself, worst case scenario I can just swap it out.

Thanks for all the idea's and help!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Building my first LR rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuckinator View Post
Thanks for all the responses!

The reason why I chose the Stevens action is because I can pick one up easily at $300 or just buy a whole new rifle for $400. Model 700 I would be looking at $600 used $700 new. Plus I wouldn't need to pay $200-$300 to get a smith to install the barrel. But I will give a few smiths a call to get a definite on prices.

I have a .260 Rem right now and love it, the reason why I didn't think to hard on 6.5x284 or 06 is it seems where they really shine is with the VLD's. The thing is though that it isn't an uncommon occurrence to be walking down a trail, turn a corner than five feet in front of you is a nice big black bear and the last thing you want is a bullet that is designed to fragment in a situation like that.

But as far as recoil goes I'm fine with shooting an 06 parent cartridge in a sub 7# gun. I just want to shy away from magnums.

I really like the idea of trying to do the trigger myself, worst case scenario I can just swap it out.

Thanks for all the idea's and help!
Even with the Savage you'll still need "Go" and "No Go" gauges for the caliber you choose for when you install the barrel and set your headspacing.

The .280 AI with the Berger 168 VLD's is an incredible combo, from everything I've read. Can't wait till I can complete mine.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.