Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Building a custom rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:49 PM

Re: Building a custom rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I like Howa actions and just had 2 rifles built on Howa made actions, a Vanguard and S&W M1500.

That said, I would not build any RUM size chambers on a Howa action because they are a little on the short side. About a 1/4" shorter than the 700.

If it's in the budget, I would highly recommend a custom action over a 700. I alos did a build on a 700 and by the time I had it totally upgraded it wasn't to far from a custom in cost.

One more recommendation, if you're looking a 375 RUM you might consider a 375/338 LM Imp. Much better brass and a little more case capacity and a little shorter than the RUM case.
I'm still juggling prices and so getting a custom action isn't completely off the table. I'm trying to do it all on a budget but I still want some quality equipment.
I would consider the 375/338 LM but I don't see much advantage over the RUM. Also if I go with the 375 Tejas I can use some of my father-in-law's brass while I am working on getting brass of my own.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxfreak003 View Post
I'm still juggling prices and so getting a custom action isn't completely off the table. I'm trying to do it all on a budget but I still want some quality equipment.
I would consider the 375/338 LM but I don't see much advantage over the RUM. Also if I go with the 375 Tejas I can use some of my father-in-law's brass while I am working on getting brass of my own.
The biggest advantage of the Lapua is the brass. It is wayyyyy better than Rem RUM brass and will last a lot longer. If i was going to do a Lapua anything, I would do an improved version. That will get you about 10% more capacity than the standard RUM. Not sure of the Tejas specs, but there is very little room for improving the RUM case and getting much more capacity. Another advantage of the Lapua is it is .130" shorter than the RUM which allows you to seat the longer bullets more efficiently.

If you can make it work in your budget, I HIGHLY recommend a custom action for theis build.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 11-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

The tejas capacity is maybe 2-3 grains more than the RUM. IMHO, not worth it. Mark is right, if your looking for options, building on a custom action is a must. My heart belongs to the RUMs so I am very bias. Bottom line is this......how much do you really want to spend to build and shoot it.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

This is how it starts. Just a couple bucks here and there and next thing you know your sporting a 375 Chey Tac, (a Stiller Tac 408 is only a little more than the Predator) Brass is the same as a Lapua, seems to be plentiful, no case forming. You can even buy factory made ammo.

If you are not game on the Chey Tac version I would seriously consider a plain old 338 Lapua.

A trued up $499 bare action is going to cost about the same or more than a Stiller. Stiller now has fully one piece bolts. No more knocking the handle off if you ever get a warm load. The M-16 extractor is better and it comes standard.

Even doing my own labor for everything the only way I would do a Remington for myself was if it was free. Uhhh............. I guess not really. I would still buy a custom action.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
This is how it starts. Just a couple bucks here and there and next thing you know your sporting a 375 Chey Tac, (a Stiller Tac 408 is only a little more than the Predator) Brass is the same as a Lapua, seems to be plentiful, no case forming. You can even buy factory made ammo. .
I sure wouldn't mind having a 375 CheyTac. Although from what I've heard, they weigh more and would be a pain to carry around hunting and whatnot...
Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

A 375 CT should weigh about a pound more than a Lapua. A 375 Anything other than the little Ruger round is going to be a pretty good sized rig to keep from pounding the snot out of you.

A McMillan Super Mag stock and a regular barrel out to come in around 14-16.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:59 PM

I'm guessing I would probably need a custom action for a 375 CT?