Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Building a custom rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Building a custom rifle

I'm sure the answers to my questions are probably somewhere else in the forums but I haven't been able to find them so I'll post them here. What I'm thinking of building is a 375 RUM (with some adjustments). After looking at the costs of buying a rifle and modifying it or just building one from the ground up - (comparing what I can get for how much and what I want to have), I am really leaning more towards building it. My main problem is finding where I can get an action. I was looking at Howa barreled actions, however I don't need the barrel, all it would be for me is one gigantic overpriced paperweight. But, I haven't found anywhere I can buy an action for less than around 800. I'm really wanting to find an action more around the 400 range or less if possible.
So mainly I'm trying to figure out:
Where can I buy a Howa action(non barreled)?
or
Where can I find a stock Rem 700 action?

with or without a trigger isn't so important (especially if it's cheaper without, then I will just get a timney trigger to put in it.)
I'm not necessarily partial to the Howa/Rem 700 actions either, I'm looking for something cheap that is at least around the same quality as those.
Hopefully someone can help me here, thanks in advance..
(also, any suggestions on where to get some of the other components.. (stock, barrel, etc) are welcome as well, the above mentioned is what i'm after though)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Building a custom rifle

Give these guys a call...
nwaw-1 because you can buy bare actions...to complete and tuned up actions for good prices
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Buy a used rifle....

You can pick up used Howa's for 2-300 all day long. You can get a used 700 El cheapo for a little more. Bolt face doesn't matter as PT&G makes bolts for both of them. Then have your smith true the action when installing a barrel. Get a Brux barrel, Mcmillan or Manners stock. Jewell trigger (or any aftermarket one that fits your needs). Which stock would depend on your goal for weight, looks, shape, etc.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxfreak003 View Post
Where can I find a stock Rem 700 action?
Brunos has new 700 actions in stock for $499 including trigger. Stainless are $529.

They also sell stocks and barrels.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Check this thread out. There are a couple of very grounded 375 RUM guys talking about options for the 375 RUM. It might be helpful.

375 rum custom build options/ideas??
Old 10-31-2013, 04:06 PM

Thanks everyone, the links/resources are great! I may end up just getting something new and changing the barrel(I'm still juggling prices, I want to be ready, and pretty much decided when as I can afford it towards to beginning of next year though)
Quote:
Doublezranch Check this thread out. There are a couple of very grounded 375 RUM guys talking about options for the 375 RUM. It might be helpful.

375 rum custom build options/ideas??
Awesome thread. Thank you much for sharing.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

I like Howa actions and just had 2 rifles built on Howa made actions, a Vanguard and S&W M1500.

That said, I would not build any RUM size chambers on a Howa action because they are a little on the short side. About a 1/4" shorter than the 700.

If it's in the budget, I would highly recommend a custom action over a 700. I alos did a build on a 700 and by the time I had it totally upgraded it wasn't to far from a custom in cost.

One more recommendation, if you're looking a 375 RUM you might consider a 375/338 LM Imp. Much better brass and a little more case capacity and a little shorter than the RUM case.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams