Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

building a 375 cheytac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM

building a 375 cheytac

Hey i am going to build a 375 cheytac in a couple of months. I have chose to have lawton build the action, barrel and muzzle break. I am going to use a Manners tactical stock, Kepplinger set trigger and Nightforce 5.5x-22x scope. I have read up on the Serria matchking 350 grn bullet and the guys at Lawton told me that Racky Mountain bullet company was building a 350 grn or bigger polly tiped bullet. I am not getting an oversized barrel so i can't shoot solids so i will use the serria and rocky mountain bullet. I had some questions about the Barns 300 grn tripple shock. I use them in my 375 h&h mag and they seem to work good. Max range i have shot is 200 yards though. Has anyone used the barns bullet for long range hunting? Does it hold up to ranges out to 1500+ or is not designed well enough for that?

Thanks for the help. Jason.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: building a 375 cheytac

Jason, I have a rifle such as you describe from Lawton finished and ready to ship. I should have it next week. It is a 7.75 twist to shoot the long solids and maybe the HATS. It makes no sense to me to build a big boomer then use bullets that do not optimize its capability. A 300 gr. 375 is a bit short and the BC is going to suffer. It would be fine for short to mid range; however, I cant imagine why anyone would need this cartridge for those distances unless you were going after elephants or rhinos.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:36 AM

not going after rinos or elaphents at least not rite now. Things could happen. I will use it for elk, deer, bear and antilope at a grand plus. I have allways liked bigger bullets with alot of knock down power. I don't want to waste my time and money loading a round that won't perform. I have a couple of friends that have 50 bmg and it will be nice to have a rig that will smoke there asses. Thanks for your imput.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

No problem, this round is still being tweaked and there are getting to be more and more bullets available. Anyone can adjust for drop but beating the wind is the problem. The guys with the fifties will probably be shooting the Amaxs with a BC around 1.0, if you want to hang with them you are going to need bullets with similar BCs. Talk with Bobby, my rifle should answer a lot of questions about twist rates and BCs of some of the banded solids. Also I think there will be some of the HATS in the 385 gr range soon. Tight twists and long projos are going to be the fuel that fires this cartridge.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 AM

They boath shoot ball ammo that comes rite off the belt that they get from one of our local gun shops. I thought about solids but i don't know what they will do to the animal when i hit them. Have you shot an animal with one? if so what did it do?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

If your buddies are shooting military ammo I think they should not be shooting at game animals at 1K. I have chronographed military ball from several countries and all that I checked was very inconsistant. The velocity spreads ran around 150 fps. Just this factor alone will cause around 1 Mil of verticle stringing at 1000 yds. Now factor in the 2-3 Moa accuracy potential of this ammo and the system will have trouble keeping eveything in a 40 in. circle. This is assuming it is a windless day. I have not even fired the 375 yet let alone tested it on animals. I will be doing that shortly as my daughter and son-in-law have a feral hog problem. The projectile is 7 cal. long and therefore has a very long thin nose that MAY flatten and expand. There are plans to make a hunting bullet from oxygen free copper that is softer than the ones I have now. I am told that Mr. Henson has dies one the way to make the HATS in 375 that should have a respectable BC. There are SMKs available but from what I can find out the BC on these are on par with the 338 SMK. Anyway I consider the 375 Cheytac a work in progress.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:22 PM

They don't use them for hunting just for play. So if i got an oversized barrel for soilid will it still shoor jacketed bullets as well?