Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Build advice for a modern safari rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Build advice for a modern safari rifle

an Elk hunt instead - I had 6-8 cow and calfs graze / walk within 15 yards but didnt see a single Bull ~ I sat out and glassed for miles from some vantage points but nothing :(

Nitro...........[/QUOTE]

Welcome to elk hunting my friend.......
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Yes, I've killed a bunch of brown bear. One of the biggest battles on internet forums is what is the best cart. for brown bear.
My favorite is the 458 Win Mag and the 416 Rem.
There is a huge difference between being able to kill a bear and being able to instantly take all life out of them. Or Dump them. The 375s will regularly knock a bear down and hold it down long enough to get another couple rounds into it. The 411-50 calibers generating over 4,000 ftlb impact energy will Dump them.

IMO and e . LRH and brown bear hunting should have nothing to do with each other. . Its like shooting an elephant at 200 yards. Ya it's easy to do. But it's just not right. A brown bear that weights pushing a thousand pounds and is 20-50 feet away is a world class dangerous game animal. . At 200-300 yards. YAWN. I don't care if it has a 32" skull.

Most guides like at least 50 yards. Mainly because they want the money and are chicken. My favorite is killing bears that are hunting me. And shutting them off like a switch with a chest shot.
The 375 RUM is a great round but the 416 is more effictive. Also a 300-350 gr 416-458 bullet is the best weight IMO. Don't need heavy weights for brown bear. That is assuming a good tough bullet is used.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
Yes, I've killed a bunch of brown bear. One of the biggest battles on internet forums is what is the best cart. for brown bear.
My favorite is the 458 Win Mag and the 416 Rem.
There is a huge difference between being able to kill a bear and being able to instantly take all life out of them. Or Dump them. The 375s will regularly knock a bear down and hold it down long enough to get another couple rounds into it. The 411-50 calibers generating over 4,000 ftlb impact energy will Dump them.

IMO and e . LRH and brown bear hunting should have nothing to do with each other. . Its like shooting an elephant at 200 yards. Ya it's easy to do. But it's just not right. A brown bear that weights pushing a thousand pounds and is 20-50 feet away is a world class dangerous game animal. . At 200-300 yards. YAWN. I don't care if it has a 32" skull.

Most guides like at least 50 yards. Mainly because they want the money and are chicken. My favorite is killing bears that are hunting me. And shutting them off like a switch with a chest shot.
The 375 RUM is a great round but the 416 is more effictive. Also a 300-350 gr 416-458 bullet is the best weight IMO. Don't need heavy weights for brown bear. That is assuming a good tough bullet is used.
.416 with 300gr TSX ? May have to pack extra underwear for that trip as well!

Thanks for the reply - one day I'll get out there!

Nitro.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Nitro, I went through similar plans and like some people like coffee and others tea, it's also personal choice and experimentation. I chose a 375 built on basically a Gibbs 505 case - great British case as you know. My shots on a buff couple years ago with a 375 H H, even shot through the heart and separately also both lungs with tsx just made it angry and could have given us a bad beating. But having loaded GS solids and gotten to know it and it's great for plains like animals and out to about 1200 yds, I decided not to take it this year to Africa. Shot an elk out to over 600 yds but not my first choice for buff so this year I m taking a custom 505 Gibbs (and 30-378) that I can shoot off sticks with Leupold B&C with 3" groups at 300 yds - not always but mostly. Having said that I agree about the advice about a 416 but then I had one misfire and lock solid in Africa so that makes me not entirely confident in them. Others have also reported problems but careful about loads etc. So instead, who knows if it will work out, I m now having a 416 built on a 585 case, that will also give longer reach. The CEs are fine for side shots in 375 for buff but there are reports of the petals not penetrating the pec muscles on frontals. Good luck, hope you can find the perfect gun for Africa and let us know. I m still searching!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Wow. A 416 on a 585 case. Wow. Sounds like it would be like the 416 Spotter or Barrett.