Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Build advice for a modern safari rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 PM

Build advice for a modern safari rifle

I am planning on building a modern & hopefully universal safari rifle, mainly for medium / large plains game & occasional heavy game.

Can anyone share some knowledge regarding the .375 RUM and if it will fit my bill? I've hunted SA with 6.5x55, .300wm & .416rm / Moz with my 470NE but I want a one calibre / chambered rifle to do the lot from this build.

My intentions are to build off a McMillan stock / action (as they are available to me). What barrel length / contour would be recommended to get the use of this ultra mag without making the rifle too long for effective field hunting situations?!

Nitro...
Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Build advice for a modern safari rifle

I would call wayne at american hunting rifles. I have a 375 RUM he built and it is awesome. I have taken it to Africa 3 times and it does the trick. AHR builds great safari rifles and for the money the best I have seen
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

I think gerryb has a good idea. AHR puts out a great product. . Which ever way you go, I would spend the time and $$ to fit the rifle to you. I don't think a 26" barrel is to unweildy. Kind of standard on the RUMs in a big game configured rifle. A brake will help keep it from kicking the snot out of you. A KickEez magnum pad helps a lot too. I've never had a 375 RUM yet. I like the 416 Rem.more and the 375 Ruger if I want a general purpose big game rifle.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Some countries have a .40 cal minimum on dangerous game. I have 3 of the new Model 70 Safari's. This model has controlled feed, basically an updated pre-64 (which I have 2 of) the new Safari model 70 is a much nicer rifle than the pre-64's. Brand new they are less than 1500.00 and can be found used for less. I paid less than a grand for my 458 Win (that is now a .458 Lott)
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

The Lott is a great round, but the Win mag is great for brown bear. I think the 416s are the best balance. But the op seems to want a 375 .
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
The Lott is a great round, but the Win mag is great for brown bear. I think the 416s are the best balance. But the op seems to want a 375 .
I agree, one of my 70's is 416 Rem, the other is 375 Weatherby (another great round)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroexpress View Post
I am planning on building a modern & hopefully universal safari rifle, mainly for medium / large plains game & occasional heavy game.

Can anyone share some knowledge regarding the .375 RUM and if it will fit my bill? I've hunted SA with 6.5x55, .300wm & .416rm / Moz with my 470NE but I want a one calibre / chambered rifle to do the lot from this build.

My intentions are to build off a McMillan stock / action (as they are available to me). What barrel length / contour would be recommended to get the use of this ultra mag without making the rifle too long for effective field hunting situations?!

Nitro...

An all round dangerous/big game rifle is a tall order and I for one think the 416s fit the bill.

With 300 grain bullets they are as flat shooting as a 270 win. With the 400 grain they are
power houses and can handel any large animal.

I to liked the 375 RUM and used the 375 rum case to base a 416 on.

The wildcat is called a 416 Buff and there is several post on it if you do a search.

I have a 416 rem and it has problems with the pressures in hot weather so the Rum case allows
for more slow burning powder that is not effected by the temperature as bad.

The buff adds 200 to 250 ft/sec to the 416 Rem with no pressure problems.and with the new
case design it will fit a standard magnum bolt face.

The 416 Buff is amazingly accurate and delivers energy within the top 10 factory loadings.

And as stated there are country,s that require 40 cal or larger.

When/if you do a search go to page 4 And 5 there are lots of post on the 416 Buff that will give
you an idea of why I chose this route to go .

J E CUSTOM