Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

Hate to say it but I didn't know what a Sendero was until today.
Might be a change in game plan. Any savages that are on comparable level?

https://screen.yahoo.com/sofa-king-000000974.html
Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Hate to say it but I didn't know what a Sendero was until today.
Might be a change in game plan. Any savages that are on comparable level?
Never will be, in my opinion...But I'm also very biased, and don't like Savage rifles.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

virtually all the answers on this forum are- " sendero and leup 6.5-20".
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

What do you mean by comparable? I have both. I like the feel and look of my Remington better but the performance of the rifle is not marked by the brand name. All of my rifles, ruger, remington, winchester, and savage have shot fine. It is simply a Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing. Might as well say standard/stock Remingtons are a POS compared to Stiller. It is just isn't true. I do believe you can get a good rifle or a bad rifle as they are all mass produced and 6 sigma is part of every business model.

I think you have to pick the package to get you to where you want to be more so then the name. Barrel contour, twist rate, stock components, chamber, bullet choice, powder choice, optics, etc. Savages are proven to work and all BS aside, it is up to you to get what you want. Like I mentioned, I have both, and my savage kills targets as good as any rifle I have ever shot, that includes $10000.00 plus models of Gunwerks customs.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
virtually all the answers on this forum are- " sendero and leup 6.5-20".
There's a reason this one keeps getting brought up...And if you've ever owned one, or shot one that's in good shape, or been taken care of, then you'll understand why it keeps getting brought up.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:

Last edited by MudRunner2005; 11-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
What do you mean by comparable? I have both. I like the feel and look of my Remington better but the performance of the rifle is not marked by the brand name. All of my rifles, ruger, remington, winchester, and savage have shot fine. It is simply a Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing. Might as well say standard/stock Remingtons are a POS compared to Stiller. It is just isn't true. I do believe you can get a good rifle or a bad rifle as they are all mass produced and 6 sigma is part of every business model.

I think you have to pick the package to get you to where you want to be more so then the name. Barrel contour, twist rate, stock components, chamber, bullet choice, powder choice, optics, etc. Savages are proven to work and all BS aside, it is up to you to get what you want. Like I mentioned, I have both, and my savage kills targets as good as any rifle I have ever shot, that includes $10000.00 plus models of Gunwerks customs.
I've been lucky enough to compare my Sendero and 5R rifles with such fine examples of weaponry at the range... Usually the guys get very disheartened when I tell them that they are stock rifles straight from Remington and have never been altered, other than trigger jobs. LOL

I have been very lucky and blessed, because I've only had 1 rifle (out of Remington, weatherbys, brownings, Rugers, Marlins, etc...) that no matter what I could NOT make it shoot...Yes, it was a 700, and yes it's getting rebarreled very soon...Yes I bought it used for really cheap, so I wasn't too disappointed.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Mudrunner2005, I have the same experience except I did have the actions bedded on all the other rifles and in some cases had the crowns cut for better accuracy.

I don't know why, perhaps luck as well, but my savages have had nothing done to them period. I have not bedded, not needed to mod the stocks in anyway, nor play with the triggers. They have been fine from the box to the range. Not trying to convince you to like Savage, but it seems they are doing something right for those who want options. Actually is a little overwhelming to know there are quite a few good choices out there for guys not able to purchase custom or have access to trusted smiths.