Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 89
Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

Hate to say it but I didn't know what a Sendero was until today.
Might be a change in game plan. Any savages that are on comparable level?
__________________
Wyoming + LRH=

https://screen.yahoo.com/sofa-king-000000974.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,400
Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Hate to say it but I didn't know what a Sendero was until today.
Might be a change in game plan. Any savages that are on comparable level?
Never will be, in my opinion...But I'm also very biased, and don't like Savage rifles.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: az
Posts: 2,423
Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

virtually all the answers on this forum are- " sendero and leup 6.5-20".
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 1,403
Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

What do you mean by comparable? I have both. I like the feel and look of my Remington better but the performance of the rifle is not marked by the brand name. All of my rifles, ruger, remington, winchester, and savage have shot fine. It is simply a Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing. Might as well say standard/stock Remingtons are a POS compared to Stiller. It is just isn't true. I do believe you can get a good rifle or a bad rifle as they are all mass produced and 6 sigma is part of every business model.

I think you have to pick the package to get you to where you want to be more so then the name. Barrel contour, twist rate, stock components, chamber, bullet choice, powder choice, optics, etc. Savages are proven to work and all BS aside, it is up to you to get what you want. Like I mentioned, I have both, and my savage kills targets as good as any rifle I have ever shot, that includes $10000.00 plus models of Gunwerks customs.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,400
Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
virtually all the answers on this forum are- " sendero and leup 6.5-20".
There's a reason this one keeps getting brought up...And if you've ever owned one, or shot one that's in good shape, or been taken care of, then you'll understand why it keeps getting brought up.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Last edited by MudRunner2005; 11-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,400
Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
What do you mean by comparable? I have both. I like the feel and look of my Remington better but the performance of the rifle is not marked by the brand name. All of my rifles, ruger, remington, winchester, and savage have shot fine. It is simply a Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing. Might as well say standard/stock Remingtons are a POS compared to Stiller. It is just isn't true. I do believe you can get a good rifle or a bad rifle as they are all mass produced and 6 sigma is part of every business model.

I think you have to pick the package to get you to where you want to be more so then the name. Barrel contour, twist rate, stock components, chamber, bullet choice, powder choice, optics, etc. Savages are proven to work and all BS aside, it is up to you to get what you want. Like I mentioned, I have both, and my savage kills targets as good as any rifle I have ever shot, that includes $10000.00 plus models of Gunwerks customs.
I've been lucky enough to compare my Sendero and 5R rifles with such fine examples of weaponry at the range... Usually the guys get very disheartened when I tell them that they are stock rifles straight from Remington and have never been altered, other than trigger jobs. LOL

I have been very lucky and blessed, because I've only had 1 rifle (out of Remington, weatherbys, brownings, Rugers, Marlins, etc...) that no matter what I could NOT make it shoot...Yes, it was a 700, and yes it's getting rebarreled very soon...Yes I bought it used for really cheap, so I wasn't too disappointed.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 1,403
Re: Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

Mudrunner2005, I have the same experience except I did have the actions bedded on all the other rifles and in some cases had the crowns cut for better accuracy.

I don't know why, perhaps luck as well, but my savages have had nothing done to them period. I have not bedded, not needed to mod the stocks in anyway, nor play with the triggers. They have been fine from the box to the range. Not trying to convince you to like Savage, but it seems they are doing something right for those who want options. Actually is a little overwhelming to know there are quite a few good choices out there for guys not able to purchase custom or have access to trusted smiths.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC