Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Browning X-Bolt, your opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Browning X-Bolt, your opinion?

Thank you for your input, It sounds like they would both make good rifles for the price!

Happylilcuss, I had a tikka super varminter .243 in my hot little hands yesterday! Man they have a lot of plastic in that stock! A lot of the locals down here are using them for their varmint rifles.

A mate of mine is doing a review on the Browning x-bolt in .325WSM for a local hunting magazine. The 23" barrel is a put off for me but it should make a good off hand rifle for the larger animals. Interesting to see how his review goes?

The reason I was asking about these two rifles is that I was looking at either a 7mmRem Mag in the Tikka or a 7mmWSM in the Browning X-bolt.
I have since been made an offer by my gunsmith to convert my .25-06 long action Remington to 7mmWSM. I think this is the way I will go.
scientia est potentia

Unread 06-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Norm!

I'll let you know how we go with the review rifle......Accuracy has been excellent from the X bolt a TT's mate has one in 325wsm 3 shots touching with factory Accubond load.. Boonie has seen 2 others all shooters.. As for the round .. very bad Sambar medicine. and Boonie has been doing some filming..

Only 7 left in Aus according to Winchester.. Next shipment? Gregie picks his own spanka X bolt 325wsm up Saturday morning..

Still waiting for the new Model 70 all weather.. dont think we will ever see them here down under the way things are going.

MMMM I have shot a few things with the T3 but this rifle just feels more solid .. I dont like the A bolt but the X bolt is growing on me.. I think I may need to buy it if its a shooter..!

Unread 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Topshot is there anyway to get that 243 to the states? I would really love to have it!! Cant find them anywhere......
Unread 06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Should not be much of a problem for a Aussie gunsmith/dealer to obtain one and send it over to you. I don't know what the taxes and paperwork would be like but it may work out OK.
scientia est potentia
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:44 PM

i know this thread is old but i recently picked up an x-bolt in 7mm rem mag used from a gun shop. it has a 26 inch fluted barrel and a muzzle break (not a BOSS) i was told was put on by a local gunsmith.

i just started reloading also and would love to get those loads from WRG

without doing much research i just asked around at my local gunshop about loads for 7mm and looked at a few manuals there i decided on IMR-4350, fed mag primers and 154gr hornady sst's. i also bought a box of factory winchester powermax 150gr ammo. i used winchester brass and made loads from 59 to 63 grs in 1 gr increments.

at the range i was disapointed after a few shots to get where i wanted at 100yds i shot 2 3shot groups with the factory ammo both were around 2 inches off the same bench rest i often shoot 1/2" groups with my savage 110 in 270. then i tried my loads all the way up with no improvement....

so idk what im doing wrong i figured i could do close to MOA with the factory ammo but 2 MOA is unacceptable as i bought the gun for shooting 500-700 yds. maybe need to just try different bullets and powders? primers? suggestions would be great
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

I have a plain X-Bolt in 300 wsm (23" barrel) and I will never get rid of it. I don't have time to reload, but what I use is Winchester 150 gr Supreme Elites. They group right around a 1/2" for me if I do my part right. Who put your muzzle brake on? Sounds like it could be causing an issue.......
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Originally Posted by WRG View Post
So far the Browning shoots an amazing 0.122 "CTC" 5 group shot on average consistantly with one load and with a couple others not far behind.

I plan on blue printing the action and lapping the lugs to 100%.
Really? Why? The rifle is shooting in the 1's, which is bloody awesome, and you really think you will make it better by "blueprinting" the action?

If I had a hunting rifle shooting like that, I'd make anybody bleed that that touched it with a tool. Customs frequently don't shoot like that.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)