Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Which gun is the better out of the box performer with nothing changed?
Browning X-Bolt 25 45.45%
Winchester M70 30 54.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70?

I've got it narrowed down to these two models but can't decide on which. I won't be modifying either of them with anything other than a bedding job and possibly a brake. Which gun is the most accurate out the box performer?
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70?

Both of the A-Bolt II's I've had were tack drivers without any modifications. However, the $18 Rifle Basix trigger spring that drops it down to 1.5 lbs is a real nice mod. Not sure if they offer it for the X-Bolt, but if you can find a new leftover A-Bolt II Composite Stalker w/ BOSS on it, you'll enjoy it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

The CRF M-70 actions are the best production action available in my opionion. I own three of them and wouldnt consider anything else, including some of the more expensive custom actions. The addition of the MOA trigger on the newer models only makes them better.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

I have one of each, so very limited experience. For my daughters 12th birthday, I bought her an X Bolt micro in .243. I turned the trigger weight down a bit, mounted a leupold 2.5-8, and bought some 100 gr Federal at Walmart to get the brass. Off he bench, that combination was 3/4" (3shots/100 yds) all day, every day. Have not even bothered to build up a load for it.

I have a win 70 coyote light 270 wsm. First gun would not do better than 3-5" with Federal factory ammo; Winchester supreme would not stay on a 8 1/2x11" target. After looking it all over, I found a reamer mark (or gouge) 2/3 around inside of bore, 1/4" from muzzle. Sent it back to Winchester, and after 14 months and multiple phone calls, I received a replacement. New gun shoots good AFTER 9-12 rounds, will not shoot worth a hoot clean. After 20+ rounds, accuracy goes down hill. Roughest factory barrel I own.

One example of each really doesn't mean much, but those are my experiences.

I know have your search narrowed to Browning and Winchester, but I'd tell you to take a look at the Tikka T3.

Best of luck
Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Bronze Member

Go with the Model 70.

I just sold my X-Bolt and replaced with a mid 90's Classic Featherweight and I couldn't be happier. The X-Bolt was a heck of a shooter with a great trigger, but I just didn't like the way it fed or extracted. Half the time I would have to turn the rifle upside down to get the spent casing out of the action.

My $0.02
Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

I have a x bolt 7mm rem mag. It is amazing. Put a vortex viper pst GDP scope on it and it will shoot outside of MOA every shot at 1000 yards. I killed a bull elk this fall with it at 608yrds. One shoot drt. Very good rifle!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Bronze Member

Stupid auto correct on the phone. Inside a MOA. With a vortex viper pst ffp scope