Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Review

My first big game rifle that I purchased was an A-Bolt composite in 30-06. I am now on my third A-Bolt. It is chambered in 300 WSM with a 20" factory barrel. Very lightweight and accurate. It will eventually get re-chambered with either a 270 WSM or a 7mm WSM custom barrel, but it is shooting so good right now that I can't bring myself to change things up yet.

I also have a couple Rem 700's and several customs. I like them as well, but none have ever provided me with the custom fit and feel of the factory browning A-Bolt. Maybe it is just how my body is configured, but when I pick up an A-Bolt it just becomes part of my arm. There will always be one in the safe.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
According to the site, looks like a 1-10.
Kippmbolt , you said it is bedded, does that mean glass bedded or an Alum. bloce.
I would think this would make a good carry rifle.
Glass bedded from the factory.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippmbolt View Post
Hey All-

I've been reading LRH for many years but haven't really posted all that much. Over the past 6 months I decided to buy a dedicated LRH rifle for hunting, mostly whitetails, pronghorn and possible elk. I have spent a lot of time reading and researching and finally decided on a Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 270WSM.

I know from doing a lot of reading that most die-hard LRH folks are either Remington or Savage or Custom owners. I too have owned a few Remingtons and a Savage 10FP in 308. I have never laid down the cash for a true custom rifle, but maybe some day soon.

I understand all the advantages to the Remmy/Savage rifles when it comes to aftermarket parts/upgrades but there wasn't anything in either camp that really drew me.

My criteria was it had to be in the 8-10lbs fully outfitted, semi-flat shooting, and not too bad on recoil. The big magnums were not something I am really all that interested in.

I looked at 700P, 700SPS, 700 5R, Savage Long Range, and the Browning X-Bolt LRH. I obviously ended up with the X-Bolt.

The rifle is in 270WSM and wears a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50. The stock rifle comes with a 26" medium weight barrel. The stock is the standard X-Bolt composite stock with dura-touch which i really like. Not the best stock in the world but seems to be fine for now.

I took it to the range yesterday with all factory ammo:
Winchester 150gr. BST
Federal 130gr Trophy Copper
Federal 140gr Trophy Bonded

All of it shot pretty well, around 1 MOA at 100 yards. The best was by far the Winchester. It was shooting around .5-.75" with the best group being .535".

Overall I really like this rifle. It shoots well, the recoil isn't terrible, and it is heavy enough but not too heavy. It has a few nice factory features such as a recessed target crown on the barrel and a bedded stock/action.

Enjoy the pics.

The Japanese make a good rifle.

"Make a man a fire and you'll keep him warm for a night. Light a man on fire and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Howa 1500 30-06
Winchester Model 70 .300WM (post-64)
Savage Axis .270
Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins, oh my!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Think about pillar bedding your X-Bolt. Plastic can compress giving uneven torque on the two action bolts.I did it on my A-Bolt with the synthetic stock, plus a bit of glass bedding as well.

Comparing your X-Bolt to a Weatherby Vanguard or Tikka Hunter I'd still take the X-Bolt.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

You just love the miroku

"Make a man a fire and you'll keep him warm for a night. Light a man on fire and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Howa 1500 30-06
Winchester Model 70 .300WM (post-64)
Savage Axis .270
Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins, oh my!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

I'm looking at getting one of these in a WSM. Why are people choosing the 270 over the 300? It seems like 30 cal has the most bullet selection by a wide margin? Bot the 270 is getting the attention. If anyone could comment on that, it would help me.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I'm looking at getting one of these in a WSM. Why are people choosing the 270 over the 300? It seems like 30 cal has the most bullet selection by a wide margin? Bot the 270 is getting the attention. If anyone could comment on that, it would help me.

Thanks
Good point. I'm gonna guess that it's about the 300 mag making a significant amount of recoil. And the 270 making much less.

It seems that some of the hunting / stalking guys use the 270 wsm and get their animals. This irks the target shooting guys no end. Just ask 'em. And get some popcorn ready