Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 11:23 AM

Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Review

Hey All-

I've been reading LRH for many years but haven't really posted all that much. Over the past 6 months I decided to buy a dedicated LRH rifle for hunting, mostly whitetails, pronghorn and possible elk. I have spent a lot of time reading and researching and finally decided on a Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 270WSM.

I know from doing a lot of reading that most die-hard LRH folks are either Remington or Savage or Custom owners. I too have owned a few Remingtons and a Savage 10FP in 308. I have never laid down the cash for a true custom rifle, but maybe some day soon.

I understand all the advantages to the Remmy/Savage rifles when it comes to aftermarket parts/upgrades but there wasn't anything in either camp that really drew me.

My criteria was it had to be in the 8-10lbs fully outfitted, semi-flat shooting, and not too bad on recoil. The big magnums were not something I am really all that interested in.

I looked at 700P, 700SPS, 700 5R, Savage Long Range, and the Browning X-Bolt LRH. I obviously ended up with the X-Bolt.

The rifle is in 270WSM and wears a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50. The stock rifle comes with a 26" medium weight barrel. The stock is the standard X-Bolt composite stock with dura-touch which i really like. Not the best stock in the world but seems to be fine for now.

I took it to the range yesterday with all factory ammo:
Winchester 150gr. BST
Federal 130gr Trophy Copper
Federal 140gr Trophy Bonded

All of it shot pretty well, around 1 MOA at 100 yards. The best was by far the Winchester. It was shooting around .5-.75" with the best group being .535".

Overall I really like this rifle. It shoots well, the recoil isn't terrible, and it is heavy enough but not too heavy. It has a few nice factory features such as a recessed target crown on the barrel and a bedded stock/action.

Enjoy the pics.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Review

Good looking rifle and a shooter too, can't beat that! What does it weigh with the Vortex?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

Browning makes great rifles. My A-Bolt Stainless Stalker is very similar to your X Bolt in both and design and accuracy. And the fit and finish is always top drawer with Browning.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:27 AM

The rifle weighs right at 8.5lbs w/ no rounds in it.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Nice...I think you can't go wrong with any of the Browning bolt guns.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg View Post
Nice...I think you can't go wrong with any of the Browning bolt guns.
Good Looking rifle.
I have always liked Brownings', got 3 of them.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:11 PM

Glad to hear of someone else with this rifle. It was a Shot Show exclusive and I have found very few reviews on it. I have the same one in 7mm. Mine loves the 160gr accubonds. Haven't done a ton of long range stuff with it yet. But it will very consistantly hold 1.5" groups at 300yd.