Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Browning X-Bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 PM

Browning X-Bolt?

I was looking through the guns a few months back and came across a pre-64 Winchester model 70 in a pawn shop, it was totally custom, a beautiful gun, perfectly balanced. It was $1,000.00 , I didn't have it at the time, so I missed the opportunity. Today I was wandering around and picked up a Browning X-Bolt rifle , it was SWEET, beautifully balanced, you could hold that rifle in that position for an eternity. I normally would not consider a bolt action, having spent most of my time shooting an M-14 and have always preferred the option of an immediate follow up shot. anyone have any experience with the Browning X-Bolt?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

Re: Browning X-Bolt?

I have one an X Bolt composite stalker in 300 WSM. I shot it at 1k today and after 4 shots to get my barrel fouled it was ringing the 24 inch steel with no problems. I love how fast it handles, and it's super accurate for such a lightweight factory rifle. It'd be one of the last rifles I'd ever get rid of.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I have one an X Bolt composite stalker in 300 WSM. I shot it at 1k today and after 4 shots to get my barrel fouled it was ringing the 24 inch steel with no problems. I love how fast it handles, and it's super accurate for such a lightweight factory rifle. It'd be one of the last rifles I'd ever get rid of.
I am very impressed with Browning as a whole. I recently picked up a A- Bolt in .270. It shoots incredibly well, to the point that I also just saw a Beautiful X-Bolt, with a wood stock in 270 WSM. Price is 500 even. Everyone I know that owns a browning not have complaints. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. I think they make a great product.
I think the X- Bolt may have a new home soon!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.. 7 STW.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the information, I just held it and looked down the barrel, and it felt sweet, like you could stand there with it in that position for a very long time, which makes one hell of a difference when you can stay there, waiting for a better shot to develop. To try that with a heavier gun I'd have compensated by finding a tree and wedging a bit, or laying down, but to be able to just stay still and wait is a very good thing when you are waiting for a moose shot to develop. As it is now I generally lay down, with a 10.7 lb semi-auto and wait, and then I always have the option of sending a 2nd or 3rd round in very fast. I am just weighing the options, if the gun is light enough i might be more willing to wait for the shot to better develop. This make any sense?

Again, thanks for the information, both of you.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Gold Member

buddy has one in 300 wsm. Ill say this. I dont care for the stock shape, i prefer a more conventional looking stock but his is sure a shooter. Ive seen him shoot many 3/4 inch 5 shot groups with it and its about the least picky out of the box bolt gun ive ever seen. I dont think it shoots much of anything over a 1 1/4 at a 100 yards.