Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Vernal Utah
Posts: 23
Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

I'm new to the forum. I've done several searches on various topics and seem to end up here a lot so I thought I might as well join the ranks. My wife bought me left handed Browning 25-06 after hearing about my fondness for the cartridge as a kid. I primarily want to use the rifle for hunting deer and maybe the occasional prairie dog and coyote. I've hand loaded since I was a teenager and know the ins and outs fairly well. The rifle wears a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 held in place by Leupold bases and rings.

Now for my issue. I've spent considerable money on bullets, Speer 87 and 120 GR Nosler Bal tips 115, Accubond, Partitions 115 and 120. Powders include RL 19, 25 Retumbo, IMR 7828 and soon to be IMR 4831. Primers were CCI 250 and Winchester WLR. Brass has been the same lot of Hornady. I've experimented with seating depths from .015 to .060 off the lands. I'm not a fanatic about cleaning but it has been cleaned regularly. Most of my loads have been on the warm side of things. (I don't mind sacrificing 100fps or so for accuracy if I wanted a 257 Bob I would have got one.)

After all of this I am the proud owner of a rifle that will throw a very impressive group once in a while but then throws the exact same load into 1.5 to 2.0 inches at 100 yards.

What's everyone's experiences with the X bolt, reloading, gun smithing and anything else I might be overlooking that May help me get things under an inch consistently with a good hunting bullet. My wife's X bolt 7mm-08 is a 1/2 inch gun easy with loads it likes. Do I just need to accept the fact that my 25-06 is a 1.5 inch gun.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 104
Re: Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

cleaning goes a long way and it never stops,accuracy depends on cleaning,did i mention cleaning your rifle. welcome to our Forum

its a great place to learn . Rember who bought you this rifle, do you own a 1 piece cleaning rod and a bore guide?? if not buy them , use them, get back to cleaning and your rifle,it will pay you back with better groups.

your rifle is one of the BEST made any where, imho.... try some 100 grainers,

your rifle is showing you it whats to shoot,even gun writers find they must clean more often .

regards jjmp
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,413
Re: Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNDLDR View Post
I'm new to the forum. I've done several searches on various topics and seem to end up here a lot so I thought I might as well join the ranks. My wife bought me left handed Browning 25-06 after hearing about my fondness for the cartridge as a kid. I primarily want to use the rifle for hunting deer and maybe the occasional prairie dog and coyote. I've hand loaded since I was a teenager and know the ins and outs fairly well. The rifle wears a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 held in place by Leupold bases and rings.

Now for my issue. I've spent considerable money on bullets, Speer 87 and 120 GR Nosler Bal tips 115, Accubond, Partitions 115 and 120. Powders include RL 19, 25 Retumbo, IMR 7828 and soon to be IMR 4831. Primers were CCI 250 and Winchester WLR. Brass has been the same lot of Hornady. I've experimented with seating depths from .015 to .060 off the lands. I'm not a fanatic about cleaning but it has been cleaned regularly. Most of my loads have been on the warm side of things. (I don't mind sacrificing 100fps or so for accuracy if I wanted a 257 Bob I would have got one.)

After all of this I am the proud owner of a rifle that will throw a very impressive group once in a while but then throws the exact same load into 1.5 to 2.0 inches at 100 yards.

What's everyone's experiences with the X bolt, reloading, gun smithing and anything else I might be overlooking that May help me get things under an inch consistently with a good hunting bullet. My wife's X bolt 7mm-08 is a 1/2 inch gun easy with loads it likes. Do I just need to accept the fact that my 25-06 is a 1.5 inch gun.
I have an A-Bolt II 7mmRM that was shooting sub- MOA groups with handloads, and overnight it wouldn't hit the broad side of crap... So I did the only thing to do....Took it to the smith for a re-work and a new barrel.

Also, Browning seems to have a 1/2" slower twist than everybody else.... For example, Remington .25-06: 10" twist, Browning .25-06 10.5" twist. This mean that the Browning cannot handle the same weight bullets the Remington can.

I would try some Nosler Ballistic Tip 85gr bullets, and some Nosle 110 Accubonds. 100's might even be better.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,413
Re: Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmp View Post
cleaning goes a long way and it never stops,accuracy depends on cleaning,did i mention cleaning your rifle. welcome to our Forum

its a great place to learn . Rember who bought you this rifle, do you own a 1 piece cleaning rod and a bore guide?? if not buy them , use them, get back to cleaning and your rifle,it will pay you back with better groups.

your rifle is one of the BEST made any where, imho.... try some 100 grainers,

your rifle is showing you it whats to shoot,even gun writers find they must clean more often .

regards jjmp
A clean bore is not necessarily a happy bore. As long as it's not gunked up with copper, it should still shoot fine.

I find that most of my rifles can go several hundred rounds between cleanings once you get the barrel broken in properly.

Also, have your smith hand-lap the barrel (especially a factory bore)...That should help smooth out the tooling marks which will significantly reduce your copper-fouling issues.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ohio
Posts: 501
Re: Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

Before I spent anymore money with a smith I would try different brass,primers and powder weight, especially something different than Hornady brass. I haven't had very good results from their components as far as consistency. I don't know if its softer or harder brass but I think it has different neck tension on each load or something I'm not sure but its something......
__________________
"those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson.

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others


Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Vernal Utah
Posts: 23
Re: Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

Thank you for the quick replies. I've been using Bore Techs Copper Remover to clean all my guns with. I do have a one piece fiberglass rod for cleaning. If anything else I've noticed the groups gets tighter after about 20 rounds or so and also tighten up some when the barrel is warm. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Vernal Utah
Posts: 23
Re: Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

Oh! And the bore is very quick and easy to clean and seems to have little or no discernible tool marks. Maybe I will have to go lighter on the bullets. I tried really hard to get the 110 GR accubond to shoot. Haven't tried any 100 Gr yet. The Speer 87 gr shoot a great group over RL 19 but that's only one three shot group and since then I'm out of all of my RL powders including 19. RL 25 showed promise with the heavier slugs. Unfortunately the reloader powders are made of unobtainium in my neighborhood lately.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC