Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Browning X-Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM

Browning X-Bolt

I looked at a Browning X-Bolt tonight. I really liked the feel of it. Light, maneuverable, and in the caliber that I am looking for. My question is about the polymer rotary magazine. It looked and felt really cheesy. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they hold up?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: Browning X-Bolt

The mag is the best improvement over the A Bolt in my opinion. They are light and extremely durable, I've had mine for a few years and have had no problems with it.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

I love my A-Bolt, and if the X-Bolts are 1/2 as good as the A-Bolts, then it is a shooter. The only reason I say that, is b/c I have not had the chance to shoot an X-Bolt yet. Handled plenty of them at the stores, just always liked the A-Bolt with the floorplate & detachable mag setup. Also, how is the mag an improvement? I've had A-Bolts since 2005 and never had 1 single issue with the magazines...And my guns get hunted hard.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I love my A-Bolt, and if the X-Bolts are 1/2 as good as the A-Bolts, then it is a shooter. The only reason I say that, is b/c I have not had the chance to shoot an X-Bolt yet. Handled plenty of them at the stores, just always liked the A-Bolt with the floorplate & detachable mag setup. Also, how is the mag an improvement? I've had A-Bolts since 2005 and never had 1 single issue with the magazines...And my guns get hunted hard.
I never had a problem with any of my A Bolt mags, I think they're great, but eliminating the floor plate and having the rounds now feed from the center are both improvements in my book. It makes clearing the gun that much faster and they feed quieter too.

Also straight from the factory my x bolt trigger felt nicer. If you install a spring kit in the A Bolt you can make it nicer, but bone stock I liked the x bolt trigger more.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I too have A-Bolts, 3 of them to be precise, but no experience with the X-Bolt. That is the reason that I asked the question. Thank you for the useful replies so far.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I never had a problem with any of my A Bolt mags, I think they're great, but eliminating the floor plate and having the rounds now feed from the center are both improvements in my book. It makes clearing the gun that much faster and they feed quieter too.

Also straight from the factory my x bolt trigger felt nicer. If you install a spring kit in the A Bolt you can make it nicer, but bone stock I liked the x bolt trigger more.
Yeah, I have the Rifle Basix 1.25# spring, and did some tweaking on it, and got it crisp and light. Really impressed me for a $20 part how big of an improvement it was.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.