Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Browning X-Bolt

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Browning X-Bolt

I looked at a Browning X-Bolt tonight. I really liked the feel of it. Light, maneuverable, and in the caliber that I am looking for. My question is about the polymer rotary magazine. It looked and felt really cheesy. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they hold up?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 826
Re: Browning X-Bolt

The mag is the best improvement over the A Bolt in my opinion. They are light and extremely durable, I've had mine for a few years and have had no problems with it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,602
Re: Browning X-Bolt

I love my A-Bolt, and if the X-Bolts are 1/2 as good as the A-Bolts, then it is a shooter. The only reason I say that, is b/c I have not had the chance to shoot an X-Bolt yet. Handled plenty of them at the stores, just always liked the A-Bolt with the floorplate & detachable mag setup. Also, how is the mag an improvement? I've had A-Bolts since 2005 and never had 1 single issue with the magazines...And my guns get hunted hard.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 826
Re: Browning X-Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I love my A-Bolt, and if the X-Bolts are 1/2 as good as the A-Bolts, then it is a shooter. The only reason I say that, is b/c I have not had the chance to shoot an X-Bolt yet. Handled plenty of them at the stores, just always liked the A-Bolt with the floorplate & detachable mag setup. Also, how is the mag an improvement? I've had A-Bolts since 2005 and never had 1 single issue with the magazines...And my guns get hunted hard.
I never had a problem with any of my A Bolt mags, I think they're great, but eliminating the floor plate and having the rounds now feed from the center are both improvements in my book. It makes clearing the gun that much faster and they feed quieter too.

Also straight from the factory my x bolt trigger felt nicer. If you install a spring kit in the A Bolt you can make it nicer, but bone stock I liked the x bolt trigger more.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Browning X-Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I love my A-Bolt, and if the X-Bolts are 1/2 as good as the A-Bolts, then it is a shooter. The only reason I say that, is b/c I have not had the chance to shoot an X-Bolt yet. Handled plenty of them at the stores, just always liked the A-Bolt with the floorplate & detachable mag setup. Also, how is the mag an improvement? I've had A-Bolts since 2005 and never had 1 single issue with the magazines...And my guns get hunted hard.
I too have A-Bolts, 3 of them to be precise, but no experience with the X-Bolt. That is the reason that I asked the question. Thank you for the useful replies so far.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,602
Re: Browning X-Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I never had a problem with any of my A Bolt mags, I think they're great, but eliminating the floor plate and having the rounds now feed from the center are both improvements in my book. It makes clearing the gun that much faster and they feed quieter too.

Also straight from the factory my x bolt trigger felt nicer. If you install a spring kit in the A Bolt you can make it nicer, but bone stock I liked the x bolt trigger more.
Yeah, I have the Rifle Basix 1.25# spring, and did some tweaking on it, and got it crisp and light. Really impressed me for a $20 part how big of an improvement it was.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC