Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Browning A- Bolt, synthetic .270 win.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Browning A- Bolt, synthetic .270 win.

I just acquired a Browning A- Bolt in .270 win. I have never owned a Browning before, but I think I am now a fan. This one has the BOSS. The gun was " used " but never fired. I did not not adjust the boss, as I did not know anything about it. I assembled a few loads and off to range I went. I loaded some 130 TTSX's, and 140 VLD's. Charges were using RL22, and RL19. Well anyway, long story short, with the VLD's I got 3 back to back groups at 100 in the 3's, and at 200, in the low 7's. The barrel on this thing is 22, including the BOSS. I was not expecting this kind of accuracy from a " pencil" barrel. My question is does anyone have one of these, and is this accuracy typical for a Browning? Most of my factory guns are Remys, and winchesters. The barrel is slick as glass , and the stock seems to be factory bedded. Trigger is decent, no creep, breaks at about 3 lbs. Like I say, I have never owned a Browning, and did not ever think that they were this good. Anybody have any tips or stories? Thanks to all. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7 STW.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Browning A- Bolt, synthetic .270 win.

Almost all Brownings I've shot deliver similar accuracy. They are bedded straight from the factory and you'll like the trigger even better if you replace the springs with a Timney spring ($29 from MidwayUSA).

I don't know how their thin barrels can shoot so well, but you will notice your groups open up quite a bit if you let the barrel heat up too much. I shoot Brownings for my general hunting rifles because they throw nice to my shoulder and shoot well enough for first round hits out to 6 or 700 yards. I'd really like to build my first custom gun off an ABolt action, but that's at least a year or two down the road.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

I used to own a 300 WM with the Boss. I think it was a Medallion. It's been years. My brother owned one in 30.06. I was told they come bedded from the factory. I never had much issue with getting some good loads but for the most part they didn't stay consistent. Lots of people gripe about the "Jap" gun but everyone I've ever know who owns one loved it because they shot so well and were LIGHT weight.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
Almost all Brownings I've shot deliver similar accuracy. They are bedded straight from the factory and you'll like the trigger even better if you replace the springs with a Timney spring ($29 from MidwayUSA).

I don't know how their thin barrels can shoot so well, but you will notice your groups open up quite a bit if you let the barrel heat up too much. I shoot Brownings for my general hunting rifles because they throw nice to my shoulder and shoot well enough for first round hits out to 6 or 700 yards. I'd really like to build my first custom gun off an ABolt action, but that's at least a year or two down the road.
After I started this thread, I did a search and was reading about thespringkit as you mentioned. I believe that I have the trigger to the end of it's minimum tension now. It is not bad, but if I can take off another pound, that would be great. I have never been a great fan of the .270, for no good reason. I has a amazing history, and great ballistics as well. I have always been into fast sevens and thirtys. I had one years ago and could not get it to shoot well. ( away it went) . It is a long story as to how I got this thing, but I am glad I did. I like how it feels in hand, and it shoulders well. No, it is not one of my 7 STW's or semi- customs, but it will suit very well when not in a long, long range situation very nicely. I don't have many light carry rifles, and this one will surely fit the bill. I am very impressed with it overall. I didn't notice the supposed louder than normal muzzle blast as was expected. I guess after shooting the boomers, you forget what a "normal" blast is like. The groups were impressive. The brass I had was less than perfect, and it still shot well. Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts.? AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

My first gun was an A Bolt 270 that I bought when I was 14 year old after 3 years of mowing yards to earn enough money. I never had a load shoot bigger than 1.5 MOA. It shot Hornady Custom ammo just under an inch and my handloads with the 140 grain SST and RL22 went around 3/4 MOA.

Like an idiot, I traded it off for a different rifle and I wish the guy would sell it back to me. Enjoy the hell out of a great rifle!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

I've been a Browning guy for years now. Owned 3 of them and each one shot better than the last one. Also, I'm the guy that built an A Bolt into a 7mm saum with a 26" McGowan #4 barrel. Kind of a "walking / target rifle".

Sorry to say but the hard part of Browning is the lack of support for after market parts. If you ever decide on a new stock, you've got Boyds and full custom for after market choices. When I built the saum, I found a used "eclipse" stock on Gunbroker. Sounded good to me and it still works well.

Best of luck with your new rifle. The "BOSS" has a sweet spot for different bullet weights.
Maybe you can Google it to find out for 270.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
I've been a Browning guy for years now. Owned 3 of them and each one shot better than the last one. Also, I'm the guy that built an A Bolt into a 7mm saum with a 26" McGowan #4 barrel. Kind of a "walking / target rifle".

Sorry to say but the hard part of Browning is the lack of support for after market parts. If you ever decide on a new stock, you've got Boyds and full custom for after market choices. When I built the saum, I found a used "eclipse" stock on Gunbroker. Sounded good to me and it still works well.

Best of luck with your new rifle. The "BOSS" has a sweet spot for different bullet weights.
Maybe you can Google it to find out for 270.
I did google it the nite before I shot it for the first time. The numbers were specifically for factory ammo. I was using hand loads of course, so they really did not apply. I think that I set it at 2.5 or 3.5. I do not have the wrench, but used a flat punch that fits the smaller holes perfectly. I took it apart at that time and put a little never seize on the threads and locked it up. I zeroed the setting ring and set it where I said before.well, I must have made a lucky choice on the setting. Lots of firsts here, first Browning, first BOSS experience, and first .270 that I have gotten to shoot well. Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts? Thanks! AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7STW.