Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Broken ejector on Savage 111

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Broken ejector on Savage 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
I GOT IT! The spring was destroyed.... totally collapsed.... Just waiting on parts now... Thanks everyone for your help

Ryan
Good Job! Now when you get it back together, go play.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
I GOT IT! The spring was destroyed.... totally collapsed.... Just waiting on parts now... Thanks everyone for your help

Ryan

I know this is a rather old thread, but I'm having the exact same issue with the ejector stuck. I have a feeling it is the same thing with the spring totally bust.
But I'm unable to get the pin out. I have removed all the necessary parts, but the ejector pin is stuck.

So HOW did you get your ejector pin out?! :-)
Did you have to drill it?

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

I have had the opportunity to fix a few of these since then. I went to Ace Hardware and picked up a punch to remove the retaining pin from the bolt. Spray some penetrating oil on the ejector and let it set for about 30 min. Take the punch and work the extractor back and forth. It will start to move. Tap the bolt face on a flat surface. This may break it loose so you can pull it out with a dental pick or something like that.

I had one that a buddy did on a 223 reload that was way to hot that I had to drill. Dont sweat drilling them its easy just go slow. The new ejectors are designed differently and are not as prone to failing.

Remember just go slow. You can totally rebuild your bolt so dont worry. Hope this helps

Keep us updated.

Ryan
Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufan View Post
I know this is a rather old thread, but I'm having the exact same issue with the ejector stuck. I have a feeling it is the same thing with the spring totally bust.
But I'm unable to get the pin out. I have removed all the necessary parts, but the ejector pin is stuck.

So HOW did you get your ejector pin out?! :-)
Did you have to drill it?

Thanks so much in advance.
It's very easy ... in fact there's quite a few you tube "how-to" videos to assemble/disassemble Savage bolts.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Thanks a lot for the quick response.
I may not have been clear though.
I did figure out how to disassemble the bolt, and the bolt face.
I removed the pin which goes through the side, and which holds the ejector and the ejector-spring, but even when I removed that, the ejector is still completely stuck.
I tried lubricating, and momentarily heating the bolt face in the oven, but the ejector is stuck real good.
This is why I was wondering how you actually got the ejector out. Did you have to drill it?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufan View Post
Thanks a lot for the quick response.
I may not have been clear though.
I did figure out how to disassemble the bolt, and the bolt face.
I removed the pin which goes through the side, and which holds the ejector and the ejector-spring, but even when I removed that, the ejector is still completely stuck.
I tried lubricating, and momentarily heating the bolt face in the oven, but the ejector is stuck real good.
This is why I was wondering how you actually got the ejector out. Did you have to drill it?
Like I noted, go to you tube ...

- Type "Savage 110 bolt ejector disasembly
- Pick the 2nd video below
- Select #4 video on the right (extractor and ejector disassembly)

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Like I noted, go to you tube ...

- Type "Savage 110 bolt ejector disasembly
- Pick the 2nd video below
- Select #4 video on the right (extractor and ejector disassembly)
Thanks again for the help.

However, I already know how to disassemble the bolt face, but when I remove the retaining pin, the ejector doesn't pop out as it normally would. It's most likely because the spring is bust, but more than that the ejector is stuck, so tapping it doesn't make it move at all.
I'm starting to believe that I might have to drill it, but I'm a little uncertain on the correct drillsize for this.
Could you possibly help me with this?
I'm going to try to soak it in ammonia first though, since I read a few places, that this might help, if it is some brass debris that's clogging it.

On another note, do you know any other online gunshops other than Midwayusa and Brownells, because the ejector and spring are out-of-stock, and won't be delivered until january 2014.