Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

breaking in vanguard concernd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: breaking in vanguard concernd

first off thanks for all the reply's! As for as the fouling, didn't get a lot during break in, actually very little. I got more color on the patches when I did the initial cleaning after I pulled it out of the box, maybe the poor printing is from not enough fouling?? I have a box of Winchester silver tips 115gn ill try after I put the rest of those core locs through it. and for Montana rifle man, my S2 is not floated, and its something ill be looking into. the scope is Nikon 12x, my 270 has a very reliable scope on it, but its staying where it is. ill try to get out to the range next week and will keep ya'll posted. also the crown looks good, I bought a bore guide to help with that, along with a quality rod and nylon brushes. lastly, reloading is not an option right now so any suggestions on ammo would also be greatly appreciated. Much thanks E

Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

I would clean it well before i switched ammo, but i do alot of **** that doesnt make sense.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

up date, checked scope rings and bases and all is well, however the stock screws were only tightened to about 20 in lbs. weatherby says tighten to 55inlbs. will get to the range as soon as possible. E
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: breaking in vanguard concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlcurtis67 View Post
up date, checked scope rings and bases and all is well, however the stock screws were only tightened to about 20 in lbs. weatherby says tighten to 55inlbs. will get to the range as soon as possible. E
DO NOT TIGHTEN TO 55 IN-LBS !

Assuming you have a "regular" synthetic Vanguard S2 you are reading the FAQ on the Weatherby site incorrectly. Weatherby does not list or mention a proper torque for a Vanguard synthetic stock, only for wood stocks, Fibermark stocks or Accumark stocks.

Synthetic stocks are generally tightened "just tight enough" which is, as you found, about 20 in-lbs. If you tighten to 55 you will probably see the area around the screw holes deform and pull in.

From the Weatherby site:

"Does my stock require special torque procedures when tightening the screws attaching the stock to the action on my Weatherby® rifle?

Screws for wood stocks have a torque specification of 35 inch pounds. Please note, however, that you should tighten the rear screw first and then the front screw.
If yours is a Fibermark® or an Accumark® stock, the torque specification is 55 inch pounds.
The correct assembly procedure is:
  1. Tighten the rear trigger guard screw first to 30 inch pounds.
  2. Align the barrel to the center of the barrel channel in the fore stock.
  3. Tighten the front trigger guard screw to 30 inch pounds.
  4. Tighten the rear screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
  5. Finally, tighten the front trigger guard screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
Applying this method, using a torque screwdriver of the proper size, will insure the proper fit between the receiver, and custom aluminum bedding block, as well as the proper positioning of the barrel in the barrel channel."
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Bronze Member

you are correct! I should have verified this with my Manuel, says to torque wood and synthetic stocks to 35 inlbs. thanks for pointing this out E