Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

breaking in a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

breaking in a barrel

I recently purchased a rem. 700 BDL SS chambered in a 7mm STW. I believe this perticular gun was made from 1997-2001 only. It's got a factory muzzlebreak.
I have been shooting since I was able to shoulder a gun. I have never "broke in" a barrel. i went out, sighted my gun in and then took it hunting.
It wasn't untill reading posts on this forum that I even realized there was such a thing. I rarely shoot more than a dozen rounds in one sitting.
This STW I found was a heck of a deal. being that it is at least 10 years old it had only been fired 14 times and is still in the box. The guy bought two boxes of ammo when he bought the rifle and I have them now. one is full and one has 6 rounds left. He said it was too much gun for him. The muzzlebreak tames it down pretty well. I have an 8mm rem mag with no break and it kicks much worse!
I like the new gun and want to do it right.
So what would be a proper "break in" for my barrel?
I appreciate some help on this issue as I am obviously a "retard" when it comes to this...
I hear they make a 257 and 264 STW as well. What are your feelings on those rounds? Does anyone make a 30 cal on the 8mm case?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: breaking in a barrel

Breaking-in a factory barrel is a bit controversial. Whether it does anything beneficial or not is hard to determine. Some guys always break-in their barrels while others laugh at the idea.

Why not just give the bore a good cleaning and go out and shoot the rifle? If the accuracy is acceptable I wouldn't bother running all that additional ammo down the bore to accomplish a "break-in". On the other hand, if it makes you feel good to do so, it certainly won't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntokanogan View Post
I recently purchased a rem. 700 BDL SS chambered in a 7mm STW. I believe this perticular gun was made from 1997-2001 only. It's got a factory muzzlebreak.
I have been shooting since I was able to shoulder a gun. I have never "broke in" a barrel. i went out, sighted my gun in and then took it hunting.
It wasn't untill reading posts on this forum that I even realized there was such a thing. I rarely shoot more than a dozen rounds in one sitting.
This STW I found was a heck of a deal. being that it is at least 10 years old it had only been fired 14 times and is still in the box. The guy bought two boxes of ammo when he bought the rifle and I have them now. one is full and one has 6 rounds left. He said it was too much gun for him. The muzzlebreak tames it down pretty well. I have an 8mm rem mag with no break and it kicks much worse!
I like the new gun and want to do it right.
So what would be a proper "break in" for my barrel?
I appreciate some help on this issue as I am obviously a "retard" when it comes to this...
I hear they make a 257 and 264 STW as well. What are your feelings on those rounds? Does anyone make a 30 cal on the 8mm case?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

If done properly, a break-in can help a factory rifle. The problem is most guys don't do it properly. To do it properly you need to clean between each shot and get ALL the copper out. That's where most guys fail.

There's a good article done by Jim See in the Technical Discussion Forum...

Custom Barrel Care At 17X

It's geared to custom barrels but the principle is basically the same for factory barrels.

I Have broken in a couple of factory Sendero barrels and it did help, as in they are easier to clean now then prior. They were used when I bought them and real fowlers, and they still foul a good bit, but they are easier to clean now then before.

Theoretically, with a proper break-in, you should see longer accuracy strings between cleanings and easier cleaning. With an over bore like the 7 STW I would use light loads with a slow powder to save your throat... or you could just use up those factory loads.

-Mark
Old 04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

Its hard to say what proper brake in procedure is different manufactures recommend different things but its generally the same idea you shot small amount of rounds clean so on and so one but you build up the amount of rounds you shoot until you have put a set amount of rounds through it.
I hate doing it more than I have to I probably wont do it to a factory rifle unless it already come with a custom barrel and they recommend it.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
.... you shot small amount of rounds clean so on and so one but you build up the amount of rounds you shoot until you have put a set amount of rounds through it.
It's true that some manufacturers will recommend a set procedure, and gradually increasing rounds between cleaning and I'm not sure why. Reason being, after the first shot, your barrel is copper fouled. The whole idea behind break-in is to condition the barrel so that roughness and irregularities are "burnished" out so it reduces the bore's fouling. This can only be accomplished with a perfectly clean bore. If the bore is fouled, it is basically impossible to accomplish the burnishing. Any shots after the first shot are useless and wasted.

Also, every bore is different, some may take 1 shot and some factory barrels may take 30. The barrel is broke in when it's broke in... not just because 10 shots were fired through it. With my Senderos, I kept shooting and cleaning until I didn't see any more improvement which was close to 30 rounds in each. And it took several trips to the range because it took a long time between shots to get the copper out.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
With my Senderos, I kept shooting and cleaning until I didn't see any more improvement which was close to 30 rounds in each. And it took several trips to the range because it took a long time between shots to get the copper out.
My Sendero 300 RUM took about 40 rounds. I did it all in one range session, but it took over 3 hours to get it done. Very time consuming. But worth it for sure. The first few (10 or so) fouled the barrel pretty badly. Now I really only clean every 20 rounds or so, unless I'm switching bullets during load development.

--Ben
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom600 View Post
My Sendero 300 RUM took about 40 rounds. I did it all in one range session, but it took over 3 hours to get it done. Very time consuming. But worth it for sure. The first few (10 or so) fouled the barrel pretty badly. Now I really only clean every 20 rounds or so, unless I'm switching bullets during load development.

--Ben

You always clean after 20 rounds?