Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Break in problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

Break in problems?

Hi

Im in the process of breaking in my new Rem 700 ADL in 300wm.
So far I have fired 10 rounds with cleaning in between each round
and to day I fired the first 2 shot series and doing the cleaning right now.

The problem I have with the barrel (factory) is that Sweets hardly gets any copper out, patches are white but I see copper with my naked eye. I have used Shooters Choise and bronze brush for the carbon, then dry patch, I have even tried alcohol in between the Shooters Choise and Sweets.
I now use Milfoam, similar to Vipeout I belive. (Milfoam Ltd - barrel cleaning solution for all firearms - artillery, infantry, navy and air force)

It removes all the copper after I have removed the carbon with Shooters Choise or Ed´s Red.

Tha question is, will it ever stop collecting copper, I mean it still coppers after one single round? I will continue to shoot 2 rounds and clean now for another 8 rounds.

// Johan
Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

I've had factory barrels take over 20 rounds to break-in. You are doing fine.
Your bottle of Sweet's may be contaminated though.

And you should stick to just one shot and clean until it becomes much easier to clean and you have much fewer blue patches. If you shoot two shots inbetween cleanings you're not going to hurt anything, but you will just waste the second shot.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

Hi

Ok, back to one shot then.
Does it even matter it I just do the one shot/clean routin during the break in? Or do I have to step up on 2, 3, 4, 5 rounds between cleaning?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Hi

Ok, back to one shot then.
Does it even matter it I just do the one shot/clean routin during the break in? Or do I have to step up on 2, 3, 4, 5 rounds between cleaning?

Only after it gets easier to clean will I go to multiple shots between cleanings. This just finishes it out nice but is not really necessary. Once it gets easier to clean on the xxth shot, it is broke in. It will take another several hundred shots to get seasoned and truly start living up to it's potential. But you can just clean whenever it starts shooting poorly during the season period.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Barrel cleaning

You might try some patches with JB compound. Make about 20 strokes without exiting the muzzle. Clean it out with denatured alcohol. Then check for fouling with very wet patch of Sweet's, Montana Extreme, etc. If its still fouling, try the JB again. You can take a one size smaller brass brush, wrap a patch around it, and stroke the JB back and forth till your arm hurts. JB will not eat steel. For carbon, I am using GM Tech, bought at a Chevy dealer. Works real good. When carbon disappears, I go after the copper. When you have near all the copper out, clean it up thoroughly, then let Wipe Out or Milfoam sit in it overnight. Next morning, it should come clean.

Factory barrels are known for fouling. Caused by rough land surface which picks up the copper from bullet jacket. As the lands smooth out, the problem will lessen. This is why JB will help.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Hi

Just got home after firing another round (so cold so I cant clean at the range...)
After cleaning out the copper it takes about 30 minutes for the milfoam to get the copper out, so its not stuck that hard. But the bore is copper red after one shot as I said...

I have tried a little JB earlier but maybe I should continue with it.

My LTR in .223 also fules terribly but I have given up on breaking it in, but it shoots extremly good for a factory barrel. I have bought a David Tubbs final finish kit for it that I will try as soon as the hunting season is over.

Edit:
Did a real polish with JB now, 150 complete passages (forward and backwards = 300 passages) without exiting the muzzle. The bore now shines a little more then before.
I sure hope that JB doesnt eat steel... And if it do, I have a reason to rebarrel it :-)

Last edited by Diezel; 11-23-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Update with JB
Old 11-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Just one thought - Some fouling isn't all that bad providing that the rifle SHOOTS.

Many knowledgable shooters will tell you that any barrel, factory or custom, only needs to be cleaned enough to return accuracy. Additional cleaning is not necessary and is often undesirable.

Some of my custom match barrels have visible copper at the muzzle. It is often referred to as copper wash. I rarely, if ever, clean the bore to the point that the copper wash is totally removed. They still shoot great.

It's not uncommon for barrels that have been cleaned to the max, to have to have a couple of "fouling" shots put down the bore before the rifle groups well again.

Once your barrel has been broken in (another controversial issue) you may want to lighten up on you cleaning routine. More than a few barrels have been "cleaned out" before being "shot out".

Just a thought