Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Break-In New Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2002, 01:05 PM

Break-In New Barrel

I have no experience with any new barrel break-in method. I just bought a new BAR .338 Win Mag and would appreciate some good advice on how to break in the new barrel for accuracy.
Thanks for any response and advice you may give.
PS: I ordered a Leupold illuminated MILdot 4.5-14X scope for it!! So, I am exited about the potential for this gun. My .30-06 BAR shoots under 1 inch groups with factory ammo, so I hope this new .338 will do as well or better!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Break-In New Barrel

Hello, JC

There's a pretty good posting in this very section [Bullets, Barrels, & Ballistics]. Go upper righthand side of the webpage, and use the Search funtion. Type in Barrel Break-in just like so. It was posted back in...August. The 30th, I believe, by Ian M. Bounty Hunter had some good additives on the topic, and someone else <sheesh> that is skipping my mind {I'll hear about it later, I just know it!} [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Check that out. There has been losts of that posted in various places through this site, but start where I suggested; it'll initiate your appetite if nothing else. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 12-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Bronze Member

Check out any of the barrel makers sites. They all have break in instructions.

Here is Kreiger's
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/break_in_and_cleaning.php
Old 12-20-2002, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Think you might have problems with the match grade makers instructions for a factory barrel. the match grades are much smoother, hand lapped etc and break in much easier and clean up easier. My last spencer took a whole 4 shots. With factory start of slow 1 shot clean for 10 shots then go to 3 shot groups for 10 groups, etc. let you barrel guide you as to how easy it is cleaning up. keep an eye on muzzle with small penlight and look for the copper.

Good luck.