Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Break changing POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

Break changing POI

If you remove and reinstall your break have you noticed a change in your POI. Just currious because I removed mine for cleaning and my POI moved .5 mill. This has happened before but I thought it may have been something else. If I clean with the break on theres no POI change.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Break changing POI

I prefer to leave them on. But I don't get a change in POI. I only tighten by hand and just snug it up. The mechanical forces of the threads can close down the bore dia. and will also cause coppering at the very end of the bore. Might try loosening it and reinstall only snug.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The mechanical forces of the threads can close down the bore dia. and will also cause coppering at the very end of the bore. Might try loosening it and reinstall only snug. Jeff
Interesting, I would not have considered that. I had a little trouble with my .338 RUM very early on, especially in the muzzle area. I'll have to pay more attention.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Bronze Member

If the break isn't evenly ported, just a slight change in the alignment of the ports may change how the pressure release affects the bullet. It's nothing to worry about you just need to adjust your scope accordingly.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies, both suggestions makes sense. I usually don't take it off but I just wanted to clean everything and checck the muzzle. I think I may try putting it on using a torque wrench a couple times to see if that prevents a shift in POI.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagrantb View Post
Thanks for the replies, both suggestions makes sense. I usually don't take it off but I just wanted to clean everything and checck the muzzle. I think I may try putting it on using a torque wrench a couple times to see if that prevents a shift in POI.
One of the reasons I really like the JP brakes is the large open first port. If installed to the correct depth cleaning the muzzle and crown are an easy job even with the brake left on. I can't remember the last time I took mine off my 300 win and it gets shot and cleaned a lot.

Jeff