Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

brass or nylon bore brushes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: brass or nylon bore brushes

Thanks for the information guys.

Jason
Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: brass or nylon bore brushes

I use both.

I used to use only brass and didn't know much about copper fouling. When I started reading this site I switched to copper solvent and a nylon brush and was getting a lot of copper out so I figured I was also getting carbon.

Then I decided to use one of my brass brushes from a new rifle cleaning kit I had purchased and was surprised on how much carbon I had missed with my previous cleanings.

Now I use 4 swipes of a brass brush with rubbing alcohol, then a patch.
Next I use 4 swipes of a nylon brush to apply the solvent, then a patch.
Then I use the alcohol on the nylon brush to get the solvent off, (2 swipes,) then 4 swipes with the brass brush and alcohol, then a patch.
Then I use oil on the brass brush to get the rest of the carbon, (which really gets a lot more carbon than anything I've tried yet.)
I finish off with an oiled patch.

That is with my new rifle and it seems to be getting all the fouling and carbon. I have broken the barrel in that rifle, with my older rifles I will use more swipes since they foul a lot more... Except my Winchester 30-30, which doesn't really copper foul all that much; I use only oil on the brass brush, then every 10 outings I'll use copper solvent.

I leave my barrels and chambers oiled just in case I failed to remove all the solvent, I run a dry patch down my barrel and in the chamber to remove the oil before shooting.

I don't know if alcohol is the best thing to use, I just started using it in place of a carbon solvent when i ran out and it seems to work as well as anything I had used previously.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams