Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

brass or nylon bore brushes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

brass or nylon bore brushes

There has been a question running through my mind for awhile and I thought I might get an answer here. Brass or nylon bristle bore cleaning brushes. I do know that some solvent require nylon brushes for the solvent will eat brass brushes. But the other solvents that are good for getting copper out can be used with brass brushes.

I have noticed that brass fits tighter in the bore. Is this good for the barrel? Will brass brushes scratch up the bore to much that it ruins the barrel? Should I use only nylon for cleaning?

Jason
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: brass or nylon bore brushes

I have both kinds of brushes and prefer the brass brushes with brass cores because of the tighter fit. I'm pretty sure that the brass brush won't hurt your barrel because it is softer than steel.

Mudbug
Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Miller Outdoors

I've wondered the same thing. I recently bought a bunch of the nylon brushes and so far so good. They seem to work well enough, and they're definitely less abrasive.

Something that I've also started to do is not draw the brush back from muzzle to chamber - instead I've been unscrewing the brush and re-attaching it after I've taken the rod out. It may be a waste of time, but it can't be beneficial for the brush to be pulled into the crown over and over again.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Brass will be attacked by many of the copper removing bore cleaners, causing blue stains on the follow-up patches that make it difficult to determine if copper is still being removed from the bore or if the blue stain is from your brass brushes.

I use nylon brushes with aluminum cores to avoid this problem.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

I use Nylon brushes also
Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Bronze Member

I like to use Montana Extreme nylon brushes. They fit tight and work very well. I also use copper solvent VERY sparingly. Try, Wipe Out/ Patch Out bore solvent (available at Midway, Sinclair..ect). I met a bunch of BR shooters a couple of years ago who swore by the stuff. So I bought a bottle and now I do not use any other solvent. It will not harm the bore and it smells like laundry detergent!

merll284
Old 05-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

I like the Iosso nylon brushes. They fit as tight as brass brushes, and acquire no stain from the solvent.

I usually start with several patches of Butch's, clean it out, then brush in Bore Tech Eliminator, clean it out and finish with Wipe Out per their instructions.