Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

brass jacketed rifle bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

brass jacketed rifle bullets

Does anyone make them. it would seem that they would aliviate many of the problems.with copper jackets such as fouling. Idk if they would act like bore rider solids or.not. but would seem a good.idea for.match shooters as one wouldnt have to worry about the bullet coming apart. amd if skivved right could make a nice controlled expantion lrh bullet. thoughts?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: brass jacketed rifle bullets

You can buy one off handmade projectiles but you pronanly can't afford them. There is a whoe bunch of geometry and mechining practice that goes into a projectile if, it's hand made.

I make 50 caliber sabots for black powder rifles btw. Only for friends.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

CEB, Cutting Edge Bullets, makes brass bullets: Cutting Edge Bullets

But they aren't lead core. There are solids for big dangerous game, hollow points, and some that can be loaded both ways, hollow or flat nose forward. Also a plastic tip can be put into the hollow end to increase BC. The later for things like plains game in Africa. Some think they are the best bullets ever. When hollow point forward the bullet breaks into a few big shards and a solid. Scroll through this page, or many others in the post, to see the brass bullet after impact, it shatters rather than deform: http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...61098911/p/262

I'd rather my bullets stay in one piece like a TSX, Swift, Accubond, or North Fork.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

let me clarify. not brass bullets. not solids. identical construction to a traditional jacketed match bullet, but instead of swaged copper or gilding metal, brass. like remington golden saber defense ammo, but in a match bullet design. a BRASS JACKET.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
let me clarify. not brass bullets. not solids. identical construction to a traditional jacketed match bullet, but instead of swaged copper or gilding metal, brass. like remington golden saber defense ammo, but in a match bullet design. a BRASS JACKET.

I'm thinking that properly anneled brass might not be that much different than the gilding metal that most bullet makers already use.

Last edited by Varminator 911; 01-27-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Old idea. Back in the day, benchrest shooters used Corbin Swagging Dies to make. 224" bullets out of expended 22 RF hulls. You cut lead wire to the correct length/weight, inserted it into the brass and swagged it into a .224 brass jacked bullet. It didn't copper foul the bore, it brass fouled it. Same difference.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Brass is much more brittle than copper and doesn't work as well for lead core jacketed style bullets although some folks use 22 LR jackets to produce 22 cal. bullets cheaply. Most of the bullet makers use a little zinc (around 5%) mixed with the copper to reduce fouling.......Rich