Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Brass Hardnes and Annealing Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

Re: Brass Hardnes and Annealing Test

4mesh063...

I have always water quenched my cases... the ol' "pan and watter" technique.

It was how I was taught years ago, and it seems to work fine.

I would like to see your test of the differences between air cooled, and water quenched... you could do it on plain cases and not waste match cases.

Some time back, I got a catalogue for a annealing machine that used air cooling, and didn't get it because I thought water was the only way to go, but I would re-consider it, if the air would work as well.

Could you post photos of yoru annealer??

CatShooter.

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

LRH member #23
Old 04-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

CatShooter,

First, I like my cats! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I did a test on the red hot and quench deal but since there didn't seem to be any interest, I just emailed the results to anyone who was interestes. As for pictures , I borrowed a camera and got a photo of it while it was unfinished and I'll send it to ya in the mail. I have no place to post the photo.

I took the same body brass that rockwelled in the 80's can't remember now how high exactly, and got it red hot. Left 1 piece air cool and 1 I quenched. I also did a neck for the 2 seconds and quenched it. the pieces that were red hot were so soft they could not be read on the tester I have. They were like butter. Air cooled or quenched. The 2 second neck stopped at sixty something so that leads me to believe that quenching stops the process as well as makes the final hardness a random number. I don't like the dead soft stuff, so I have decided to continue doing the 1.5 second heat thing. If it's wrong, it won't affect anyone elses gun even a little bit.

If quenching stopped at 65 lets say and air cooling stops at about 35, then the amount of time between heat to quench is very important for consistant neck tension and neck size. There's a big difference in how much rebound you get when sizing depending on how hard the brass is, as you probably know.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Bronze Member

4mesh063

I have been following this thread, and am very glad you've gone to the trouble of posting your findings, as it's something that's been rolling around in my own mind for some time. I've just recently been *pushed* into the annealing process by the necessity of forming a case design that I'm now making. It's a small case--quite small, actually, and so...I've been pondering exactly what sort of set-up I should develop for the process. Forgive the bland ignorance here, but damn it, if I don't ask, no other foolish men will, so here is; do you have any idea how much work-hardening would/could occur on an overly soft case in a firing process developing a Max pressure of say...54-58000 psi? I've also wondered if the SPEED of the pressure rise would have certain...effects on the hardening process? I.e. a faster rise time might result in a slightly harder case? <shrugs his shoulders> All these technical questions, but I say if you wanna have fun, you've gotta get technical! Again, thanks for the very exciting post--I'll certainly look forward to future findings if you get the time.

Dave
Old 04-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Catshooter ---(I like the name)

I have to agree with you.

I believe one should check Lapuas tecnique in annealing their brass cases.

Lapua is probably the BEST brass on the market and I have been told, they use the water quenching tecnique. The brass I get from them is already annealed which saves time when preparing cases.

I believe some try to put too much tecnical applications in their 1000 yard match shooting to NO avail.
Some of the old timers and excellent shooters will tell you, just work up a load, do the "normal" things to a case that everyone else is doing, and try it out.
Conditions will either allow a good group or tear it apart. The number one thing in match shooting is to get a REAL good barrel to begin with.

Like John Hoover (one of the best) told me several times. He NEVER cleaned his rifle from the second match, to the end of the year in 2002. He uses a 6.5/284

Do we over do things, I think so.

Later
DC