Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Brass on the bolt face

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Re: Brass on the bolt face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhostler View Post
If these rounds are reloads, check your brass also. Look for flat/cratered primers and shiny areas on the base just to be sure the rounds are not too hot. Also, when you open the bolt, how much resistance is there? Otherwise, just use a Q-tip to clean and shoot on.
db
The rounds are reloads. Brass all looks fine. No signs of pressure, primers etc look fine, no cratering/flattening. Bolt opening feels the same as usual, but some rounds are ready for a full-length sizing and a trim before they are loaded again as they are a bit stiff when chambering.

Loading 45.5gr (46 is max according to the book) AR2208 with 168gr Sierra MatchKings - currently shooting superbly out to 500yds. I don't have anymore distance at my range to reach out any further.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

Set the shoulders back a couple thousands, Q-tip the boltface and you're good to go.
db
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

This is quite normal and tends to vary with the smoothness of the finish on the boldface. Wipes off easily with patch with lube or solvent.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 AM

Excellent thanks for the tips guys. All of my other rifles have been second hand and probably had a few thousand rounds through them before I got the so never saw this.

Does this have effect on how the gun shoots or is it just aesthetics?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilj View Post
Excellent thanks for the tips guys. All of my other rifles have been second hand and probably had a few thousand rounds through them before I got the so never saw this.

Does this have effect on how the gun shoots or is it just aesthetics?
Mainly aesthetics, but as usual you should get rid of all fouling present when you clean a gun. I wouldn't want a potential rust hazard if there were fouling below the brass that were allowed time with moisture in your gun. my $.02
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Definitely. I've cleaned it up and will continue to do in the future as one should.

Just so I know i cant blame it for a **** day at the range.

Thanks for everyones help.