Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Brakes vs recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Brakes vs recoil

I wondered where that brake came from. Mine was just happenstance from a customer who cancelled an order with Kirby after Kirby already ordered parts so he gave it to me for the same price as a three slot brake.

Running bullets 50% heavier creates 50% more recoil divided by the ratio of the decrease in velocity ( I think - I am old school and do not do math well on a computer).
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club

Unread 02-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
The laws of physics that pertain to recoil and brakes for guns that are not semi auto do not change with cosmetics nor with the name of the manufacturer nor can one make a leap from an XP to a rifle without performing the math. Semi autos are more complicated because you have to keep track of more moving masses and the timing of their movement.

If Joel had used a four slot brake to begin with, then the rifle would have had less felt recoil. Whether that would have been acceptable to a given individual is not known; however, one can make a reasonable estimate once the individual decides if the Holland brake reduces the felt recoil to a level that is acceptable.

An xp-100 is a bolt action pistol not a semi auto matic.

Specifically, which laws of physics were you referring to?

Unread 02-21-2009, 03:01 PM

How about measuring the square inches of the baffle openings in your pictured brake and let us know what they measure.

I just unwrapped my XP-100 barrelled action package from Holland's. It was a seven day total trip SC to OR, brake installation and then the return trip OR to SC. Not bad for seven days total using priority mail.

The Holland's Radial brake has:

(6) baffle openings of .425" x .870" = 2.2185 sq in total surface area of the baffle openings

(3) .240" holes in the top of the brake = .0452304 sq in total surface area of the top hole openings

Total = 2.2637304 in sq surface area for gas escape

We could also get a cu in value by measuring the depth of the baffles, but since this brake is 1.2" in diameter, I doubt it is necessary to get close to the four baffled one you pictured.

On the Holland's, you might not have accounted for the angle of the baffle openings.... The baffles are slightly oriented toward the rear to develop a slight pull action.

In your photo it looks as though the one pictured exhausts the gas perpendicular to the bore line. If it is perpendicular to the bore line, it will not operate as effective as one that has a rearward exhaust angle. And, as you know, the more of a rearward angle the less the felt recoil.

Unread 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM

I just tested the Holland's radial brake in the XP-100 Bolt action pistol in 300 Dakota with 82 grains H1000.

I fire formed some brass and tested the pressure boundaries since not much loading information available.

Lots of noise, but no recoil. We shot 180 grain loads that were much warmer than the 300 win mag loads and it is simply hard to believe that the "nudge" is so slight during firing.

The "nudge" is really not much more than my S&W model 41 22LR with a 5" barrel.

My 9MM HK pistols are severely"brutal" as compared to the 300 Dakota XP with 82 grains H1000.

Good job Darrell and thanks again for the excellent customer service.

I guess I won't get Nathan's 338 edge now.

I really see no reason to buy any other muzzle brake unless Darrell quits making them.

Unread 02-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Glad to hear you had such a pleasant experience.
Not only is Holland's Radial brake angled back it is also radiused.
Here is a pic to compare the Quick Discharge to the new Radial.
Please excuse the prop (kitchen glass that is upsidae down-Hey, it worked!).

Unread 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Both of my Wichita pistols (.308 and the 6mmbr) have the quick discharge brakes on them.

They both recoil much more than the 300 Dakota with the Radial brake.

The 300 Dakota feels very siimilar to fire forming brass in the 6 ppc with corn meal or wax.....

It is really hard to believe that a bullet went down the barrel!!!!

Unread 02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Hey James that sounds awesome I am very glad to here that it stopped most of the recoil. Now i cant wait to get my 338 edge back from Darrell it should have arrived this evening at his place.
Thanks again James for convincing me to take it to him.