Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

To brake or not to brake???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Re: To brake or not to brake???

To brake or not to brake, that is the question?

The answer is .......BRAKE!

The only affect on accuracy, in my view, is that it increases accuracy of the system (me/rifle/rest). As for the rifle, as said above, it dosen't affect it one way or the other. However, the shooting of the rifle becomes immediately more consistent (after the initial amazement).

FWIW...Its worth it.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!

Unread 05-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

I have the Peltor tac 6, they are working good for me . I was a bit surprised by the volume level they allowed before cutoff but then realized that I was not having any " extreme noise " physical responses . That is a poor way of putting it but supper is almost ready [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wish that someone had taken me in tow a long time ago and shown me how to protect a valuable gift . If your shooting bench or long range hearing protection is no problem and a muzzle brake is / makes more sense than shooting poorly or ruining what you have left ( hearing )

Too late for me ( although I am wearing hearing protection nowadays ) bu t dfor a lot of you young fellers out there , wear 'em and be able to hear that trophy buck that sneaks close while you are looking far, ( it happens [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Jim B.
Unread 05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Jim
I will give those a try. My older brother has lost alot of hearing & I have lost a little, we used to hunt alot with 44mag handguns. If you can wear these while hunting without problems, then I believe this would eliminate the only problem with brakes, unless I missed something & then why not use a brake?
Jim, I wanted to send you a PM, but I don't guess we can.
Where in AR. do you live?
My e-mail is
You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go.
Unread 05-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

now when my wife hollars at me from across the house i cant even make out what she is saying!! then again maybe us men shouldnt use hearing protection!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You're not suppose to use ear portection inside the house!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seriouly, I know what you mean! Though some times just maybe is a good Idea to use hearing protection at home!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] LOL. I do have to admit that aside from my salvation the second best thing the Lord Has given me is my wife. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Unread 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Definitely get a brake. I have owned a couple of sporter weight 338WM's that I couldn't get to group very good due to the severe recoil when shooting from the bench. I now have a sporter weight 338RUM that I had ported before I ever shot it. It doesn't jump at all and it shoots half inch at 100 yds. I have been told that a good brake is more effective than what I have. Even so, mine is a pleasure to shoot.
I wouldn't want to shoot a 300RUM from the bench with heavy loads without recoil reduction. Good luck! Sam
The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once.

NRA Life Member
Unread 06-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

On the first part of your question: To brake or not to brake. Ditto the rest of the guys. BRAKE!

On the second part of your question which I have not seen of the other responders address: What Kind? There are lots of good ones out there. Some are more efficient than others some look better etc, but they all work. For my money I really like the Holland QD. It is a very efficient brake with large side vents and no holes on the bottom to kick up dirt when shooting prone. It looks cool too! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:41 PM

Where is everyone when I suggest a brake for those complaining about kicking?

After shooting my Kirby RUM 375 RUM (kicks like a 243 with the heavy 30" Lilja #8 and Holland QD) - I switched to my factory stock lightweight 270 WSM A-Bolt and got Magnum eye and a bad case of Fred flinch stone. I had two nice scope marks complete with blood on may face. As soon as I got home, I shipped the A-bolt back to Kirby for a Holland QD and trigger job. The excellent factory shooter actually shoots better now. I doubt the QD brake made it group better, probably more to do with Kirby's trigger job.

That's the down side of a muzzle brake, you get spoiled. Before Kirby sent me three tack drivers with Holland QD brakes, ignorance was bliss.

I second the Holland QD. Battle proven, looks great. I find it easy to clean.