Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

To brake or not to brake???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 12:29 PM

To brake or not to brake???

Finally got my 700 P in 300 RUM. Only shot it enough to sight it in (dozen rounds or so). I am waiting for my new chronograph to come in. It has a pretty good recoil with 92gr. RL-25 & 200 Accubonds. The recoil abuse on my shoulder isn't the concern, but the barrel flip is. It jumps off the bench a good couple inches and I haven't maxed out my loads yet. I don't have any experience with muzzle brakes, and would like some input. First do they effect accurracy? Is the noise increase worth the reduction in recoil. What brand or type do you recommend? Any feed back would be appreciated.
Should have some pictures of the rifle to upload soon.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: To brake or not to brake???

I would brake the rifle, and have the smith make up a thread protector to screw on if you decide to shoot without the brake.

If properly installed the brake should not effect accuracy, it could enhance it by the reduction in recoil, and less muzzle flip. It could change the POI.

As far as noise goes, its going to be louder.

Frank D
Old 05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

The only accuracy affect a properly installed muzzle brake will have is,it will allow you to shoot more accurately. The recoil of the RUM will be about that of a 270 win.At least that is my opion of my 300 RUM with a break.Yes it will be loud,but it is allready loud enough for ear protection.
A rifle with a brake will not in my experience shoot to the same point of aim with the brake removed.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Every centerfire I own has a brake. They don't affect accuracy. A gun that kicks is no fun to shoot. I have them all my 22 cals to can watch my own bullets hit. But a brake on that rifle and enjoy it. You need hearing protection any ways. A 100 grains of powder is loud any way you look at it.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:58 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Every centerfire I own has a brake. They don't affect accuracy. A gun that kicks is no fun to shoot. I have them all my 22 cals to can watch my own bullets hit. But a brake on that rifle and enjoy it. You need hearing protection any ways. A 100 grains of powder is loud any way you look at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on Reed's comments.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:10 PM
SPONSOR

Ditto to reed

I love brakes, having the ability to spot your own impacts is awesome. I also agree on the hearing protection. You should always wear hearing protecton. I come from a big family of trap shooters and damn near all of them are borderline deaf now!! I grew up selling shells at the trap shoots and I never wore hearing protection. As i got older i did a lot of shooting with out protection and i remember being able to hear armadillos rooting through brush from over 100yds away on a calm night.

now when my wife hollars at me from across the house i cant even make out what she is saying!! then again maybe us men shouldnt use hearing protection!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

HA HA HA, thats wrong i guess, we better hear what they are saying so we know what to apologize for!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

All jokes aside you will like a break on damn near anything. You can stand to shoot them in a hunting situation without protection occasionally, unless it is something really big then it just hurts

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

It looks more & more like I will be going that direction, I
am talking about while hunting. I used to think that if I wore hearing protection while shooting except while hunting
would work, but (1.) I was probably wrong about that in the first place, even with std. rounds. (2) I am becoming addicted to longer range/louder rounds, thanks guys! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess technology is going to allow me to wear hearing protection while hunting, I heard horror stories about wind
noise, a distant tractor or Bird sounding like they were in the stand with you, etc. Is the equipment improving where this is not a big problem now. I have heard good things about the Peltor Tact. I believe it was. Please advise.
Also, I hope they are not too hot for AR. hunting.