Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I dont wanna hi-jack Mike's post, so Ill keep er short and sweet.
Jmden, would that tiny one work well on a 300wby? What do you have it on?
Sorry Mike.
win,

Those are just pics I pulled off the web. I would guess Kirby would reccomend the med. for a 300 Wby if you emailed him: kballen@3rivers.net. I've got a med. slim on a 338 AX that should be delivered any day, so obviously I haven't even shot one yet and that's why there's no advice, just pics on the post above...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Jmden, Thank you for the reply and contact info. Let us know how you like yours.
Again, sorry Mike.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

Winmag

My 338 rum has a #5 contour barrel on it - I have the DE brake - it looks very similar to the slim line in the picture - it is flush with the barrel - it is very effective. I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. PM me your email if you would like me to send some pics.
RMNS 8:28
Old 06-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

jmden, you mentioned "med. slim on a 338 AX" Is there a small and a large slim brake? I thought Kirby only made 1 slim break but, could be wrong , if so what the differece?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
jmden, you mentioned "med. slim on a 338 AX" Is there a small and a large slim brake? I thought Kirby only made 1 slim break but, could be wrong , if so what the differece?
Hmm...what I'm getting is the med. PK brake and Kirby turns it down to make it a slim. That's how he makes it a 'slim' from what I've gathered. For some reason I thought he did this with the small brake as well. Could be wrong. Now that you mention it, the only one I know he does this to for sure is the med. I don't recall hearing about the large 5-port being 'slimmed', but it seems plausible. Kirby says the slimming the med. brake reduces it's effectivenss a bit and makes it a bit louder to the shooter, but one of my overriding goals in the rifle he's making is shaving the ounces and going to a slim takes the med. brake from about 6 oz. to about 3 oz., as I understand it. I plan on packing this rifle many miles, so every part, save the NF scope, was selected with that in mind.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

jmden, thanks for responding. Now I understand. Seems logical to take a medium 3 port and turn it into a slim.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:56 AM
GNERGY

Muscle brake on my 338 Ultra mag and it kicks like a 308.
I am very happy with it.

Tarey