Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bought A brand new 30-378 weatherby what should i do first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Re: Bought A brand new 30-378 weatherby what should i do first

Ditto, what they said. Shoot it and take it from there.

I also agree with that other guys style of break-in.

Just one thing to note about accuracy. When the rifle is broken in accuaracy will be at its best and it will clean real easy. So....I wouldn't get too worried about the accuracy until she's broken in. Also, you'll need to figure what bullets she likes best. So get the break in and load development out of the way and then see what you got.

As far as overkill goes. NO SUCH THING! Who eats deer ribs anyway? I use a 7stw and 338 lapua. I don't want to track the thing after I shoot it, I want to field dress it and high five my buddies as soon as possible then get to the cold ones. Plus, if I shoot at distance tracking may be an even bigger bitch.
I will say that the bullet and bullet placement will have a lot to with how far the deer goes regardless of calbier. I first used barnes xlc's and they shot like crap in my STW, but the animals never took a step. I switched to the 156 cauterucio and they may not kill like the barnes but they shoot 1/2" and I like that a whole lot better. Cauterucios do kill really really well! I've just never seen anything kill like the barnes. I've likewise never had bullets with accuracy that sucked like barnes.

You might want to try the 200 grain accubonds. They would give you a great "one-load" rifle if she likes them. Great BC and great game performance. You could probably kill any north american big game with that load. Even the mighty grizz. I like one-load per rifle myself and since you want this to be your "stop everything" rifle that 200 accubond would be where I'd start. Don't get too caught up with velocity. The faster you go the less accurate. Thats why snipers use heavy bullets for caliber.

Before I suggest any other bullets. How far do you plan to shoot?

By the way, your question should have been - what to do second. First, you play with it and show all your friends.

Best of luck.

Unread 07-28-2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the response guys. The reason I just didnt want to go out and use the rifle I didn't want to be told if you really wanted to cut group size you should have done this first. I dont have the money to be wasting on useless things to do so that is why I appreciate the experts here giving their advice. The only thing Im an expert at is killing big deer. I plan hunting the following states Missouri Texas and Saskatchewan Canada. Where is the cheapest place to by factory ammo if such a place exists. thanks in advance STEVE
Unread 07-28-2005, 11:00 PM

Worldrecord, c'mon now!
Cheap ammo? Please!

You just bought a weatherby. Ammo aint cheap for that thing. charges over $100 per box for thier new "custom" ammo.

You might want to try

I've never used them, but they seem to offer a large variety of ammo. It's $67.50 for a box of 20 rounds of 200 accubonds. They list velocity a 3300 fps. I'd give them a try for that price. If it works out, you'll save $33 per box. I'd take a shot. (no pun intended)

I don't think weatherby has accubonds in their 30-378 ammo line.

Ammo is the most important part of the investment you just made. Buy crap ammo and you might as well have bought a crap rifle.

You never mentioned how far you plan to shoot this thing?
That would help determine your ammo choice and your scope choice as well.
Unread 07-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

30-378 and Cheap ammo don't go together. If you want top performance you have to pay for it. If I were you and I didn't reload I'd have superior ammo work up some loads for my rifle and then just buy a bunch from them. If you reload, I'd try a 180gr Barnes Triple shock, 200gr Accubond, Richard's Wildcat Bullets 180 or 200 gr bullet. Good luck and enjoy the new rifle!
Unread 07-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you are going to reload for it, try 107g of RL-25 and the Barnes X "XBT" 180.

If you cant ever get it to shoot worth anything trade it for a Rem 700 in either 300 or 338 UM. Over time you can upgrade the stock and barrel ect... You will never go back to WBY.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 07-29-2005, 02:59 PM

I was never a big Weatherby guy myself. Always liked remington because you can always customize them so nicely.
I did that with my 7STW. Only thing left is action and trigger. I do wish I upgraded to a Jewell trigger when my smith had it. I have one on my lapua...amazing.
Shooting anything after shooting a jewell is like sleeping with a fat toothless prostitute after sleeping with Pamela Anderson.

I'm being a little fasicious, but not much.

Never liked those weatherby "pencil" barrels. They also BS about them be Kriegers when they are a just a low end Krieger called the Crieterion or something like that.

I think the weatherby price is obscene.

There is only 1 choice for a factory rifle - SENDERO!

But, Worldrecord, you have it now. Enjoy it.
If that thing shoots the 200 accubond well then you're set.
I personally think Barnes makes bullets like [censored]. Hard to get accurate but they kill. Although I hear better things about the TSX.
Unread 07-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

i'm willing to bet that going to a 30-378 won't help you kill deer that would have got away in the fact it's probably heading in the wrong direction.i've seen and killed some pretty big whitetails and none of em are alive long after a hole is put in the chest with an appropreate bullet in any that whby in or sell it, kill 40 or 50 chucks this summer with the rifle you already have and the next B & C buck won't get away.