Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Boss on x bolts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Boss on x bolts

I had a chance to spek with a browning repp. I ask him why arent they putting boss systems on the x bolts. He said It had to be re engineered, it didnt work on x bolts. Now whats really different on the xbolts other than action and triggers? I'm sure the bolt doesn't have a different barrel. I think maybe it so the still have a selling point with the a bolt, because it seems like the x bolt is a better more vesatile action. If you could get a boss on a x bolt why would you buy a Abolt if your getting a new gun. How many people will probably buy a another new x bolt once they come out with it on thier??

Has anyone toyed around with the idea to put a boss system on an x bolt. The worst thing that can happen is you get a muzzle brake.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Boss on x bolts

I've owned several A-Bolts and loved 'em all. Only had one A-Bolt with the BOSS and it was a constant problem. For some reason, the barrel would never stay "tuned". The locknut on the BOSS was solid, but my groups would widen over the period of 30-50 shots. I would adjust/"retune" the BOSS and the groups would tighten back up. I spoke with several other A-Bolt/BOSS owners about this problem and the results were mixed. Some experienced a degradation in accuracy corrected by subtle changes to the BOSS from time to time, while others found no problems. Once tuned to a load - it stayed accurate. Perhaps Browning dropped it from their X-Bolt because of mixed reviews. As a company, they are pretty good at marketing and sticking with what works - or what people want.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

I had a boss and my still has his. What we learned was if we got the same ammo from the same guy at the same time are groups were always good. We noticed when we bought the same ammo for another year of hunting we had to tweek the boss a little. So with that in mind we shot the gun in anyway for the new hunting season and just rolled with it. Something to take in consideration. The boss seem great just senstive
Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

The reason engineering is involved is because BOSS is a SYSTEM that includes a tuner, matched rubber bedding, & stock.
You can't just screw one these tuners out there, or even Browning's, on the end of a barrel and pretend to have BOSS.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Silver Member

yeah that what I hear, i just dont buy it. From what i gather. The barrel, stocks are still the same. just the actions are different. I doubt their going to change the bedding system from abolt to x bolt. but even so. The BOSS from what I undersatnd was ment to chang and balance barrel harmonics. I dont think that would have anthing really to do with the action, if it was that critical base on the action then I would say why dont you have to use a certin style of scope, because having diffrent scope on your action would hinder how your boss works. I just think its a typical selling point of the rifle. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a contract to produce so many a bolts for so many years and if you put the boss on the x bolt sales would go down to much. just my thoughts. My barrel is made by the same company and is the same size OD as the one on my dads a bolt. Why one couldn't put a boss on it I dont know. I just want to see if anyone has tried it
Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

For one, you don't have to post a pic of a gun with replies..
Second, you are clueless about BOSS by your own admission. Yet you argue about the answer to your question!

"Now whats really different on the xbolts other than action and triggers?"
W/regard to BOSS, it's bedding(Flexane94).
Read their patent, and consider what Browning reps are trying to tell you.

Last edited by Mikecr; 08-18-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Well for one the pic that comes up will do that with every post for some reason it does that I dont know what I did to make that happen like that ,that big, Sorry if it bothers you. So what your saying is Flexane94 a rubberized compound is whats stopping the boss from working on x bolts. I've seen a forum talking about that although I couldn't find anything on brownings website. It doesn't seem like to big of an obstacle for a company like browing to install by now. Its not like the x bolt just came out yeaterday. They probably use the compoud to cut the vibration down. I wonder what glass bedding would do? And hey com down no need to say something about my rifle pic up thier anyway. I'm on here to get some solid info and have some fun enjoying what I like. I get enough critisim from my girl when ever I mention hunting. Hey do you work for browning? Didn't mean to offend any browning workers...lol!