Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Borescope-should one use one,which,why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Borescope-should one use one,which,why?

Would appreciate advice on whether a bore scope is worth it for large bores 30 up to 375, does help with cleaning and accuracy, which you would recommend, and any other advice for what to look for. Do you scope after cleaning? Has it helped your accuracy. Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Borescope-should one use one,which,why?

Without a bore scope, all you can really do with the naked eye, is verify that the hole goes all the way through!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Bronze Member

I would say the Hawkeye scope is a good one to get.....what you can do with it. you can check to see how clean the barrel is,check how good the rifling is, check for Throat erosion,check the crown......butt some times you will find that some copper left in the barrel is a good thing.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

To examine for barrel condition nothing else will let you see up close. The Hawkeye is about the only one that is as effective for the cost. On the big bore barrels the focusable unit will give you a better look.

Hawkeye Borescope Slim kits and individual components by Gradient Lens Corporation

I bought the 17" Pro Slim Kit 17" (435 mm) PS17-NVK with the extra 90 degree eyepiece. This really helps when the action is in the stock.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

I will take a wild guess and say that 99% of shooters have no need for a bore scope..
Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSnort View Post
I will take a wild guess and say that 99% of shooters have no need for a bore scope..
For the average guy it depends on how 'serious' one is about their 'shootin' equipment. If ya' need GPS, a ballistics/loading program, a hand held weather station, and the 'best' custom barrel, you shouldn't be without a Hawkeye. If the inside of that barrel isn't "up to snuff", that other stuff is just wasted! And ya' can't get a close-up look with the naked eye, just guesses. I didn't think I needed one either,,, 'till I bought one and used it!

Last edited by shortgrass; 05-28-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

1. I don't use a borescope when cleaning. I just watch what the patch colors say about copper and propellant fouling. Removing copper fouling is important, but being "squeeky clean is not.

2. I've never had a borescope improve the accracy of a barrel. Shooting tells when to replace a barrel. A borscope may show what's gone wrong. Sometimes not. I never repalce a barrel based on what I see with the scope only how it shoots. A borescope can show throat erosion, but s can a bullet and a caliper. Borescopes cant' mesure bore diameter accurately enough to be useful.

3. Hawkeye is the only commercial one I've used. To be useful it needs be able to look at the side of the bore and focus. A good light is necessary. A video camera instead of an eyepiece is handy.

So why have a borescope?

It may be useful in situations where you need to evaluate a rifle without shooting it, such as at a gunshop or gunshow when buying an unknown firearm. Once you buy a gun ther's no point looking with the borescope. Shooting it will tell you the good or bad news. Barrels can have a lot of imperfections which show up with a borescope but the rifle may still shoot ok. Some barrls look ok but shoot poortly. What a borescope can show is a miscentered chamber which could cause even a new rifle to shoot bad, but it still won't fix it.

. I find more "non gun" uses for a borescope than working on rifles. . I've found it very useful for working on vehicles, generators, pumps, and computers.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 05-28-2011 at 08:43 PM.