Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bore Tech Eliminator vs. Montana Extreme copper killer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bore Tech Eliminator vs. Montana Extreme copper killer

About two years ago I had purchased Bore Tech Competition Blend which was significantly better than BTE. It has a slight ammonia odor to it but cleaned even my roughest barrels in much less time. When I went to buy more I coulnt find it anywhere and bought several bottles directly from Bore Tech. I am wondering if this had a name change, and what they call the newer CU+2 product? Anyone know?.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

No the CU+2 must be different than the competition blend because CU+2 has no odor. It works great though.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Hey all, thanks for the advice as it was very helpful. I ordered the BTE and decided that cuz it seemed more guys were happier with the BTE and also I don't like the idea of an ammonia based solvent. Also as the web site on Bore Tech states it is safe to leave in the barrel without harming it and serves as a protectant. I don't really want to get in trouble if I were to use the Montana Extreme in the garage and have it filter throughout the house (as the garage is connected) cuz I'd get in trouble for that. Also, the next one that will be on it's way is some wipeout+accelerator and give it a try too. Thanks all and good shootin,
Meaty
Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 PM

I realize I'm reviving an old thread but I've used Montana Extreme 50bmg, bore solvent, and bore conditioner very successfully. I also spoke extensively with their tech department before purchasing their products.

Any ammonia in Montana extreme solvents is suspended in oil. I was told they have rifles that have had the copper killer /50bmg in the barrel for over a year...they scope it regularly and say it is impossible for it to cause rust. The smell is definitely strong but the stuff works.

I primarily use wipe out foam now because of how easy it is to just let it sit overnight. I usually run a few extra tight patches after the wo then I run a couple patches with the me bore conditioner. Getting 150 or so rounds between cleaning...probably more but would rather clean it before I need to