Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bore Snake...any problems with using?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bore Snake...any problems with using?

I pulled one through one of my LR rifles and had the most horrible feeling come over me. I almost swooned.

It was raspy as all get out requiring a stout pull. Regarding pulling it straight the vision of the old hand forged barn door hook being blown over the years cutting a deep arc in the barn door.

One pull through was all it took for me. Almost had to up my meds!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
I don't use bore snakes. The problem is keeping them clean. I live in Arizona whch has lots of blowing sand. Many types of sand have sharp edges and are harder than arrel steel. I keep my cotton patches in small ziplock bags and woldn't consider re-using one. It's not practical or cost effective to use only fresh bore snakes. If an oily used snake is left in a range bag it will pick up lots of fine sand. Would you use 600 grit carborundum cloth. for patches?
Just keep the bore snake in a plastic bag then^^

I use them a lot I actually take the brush out of them and keep them in my pack incase I get something in the barrel when hunting.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Just keep the bore snake in a plastic bag then^^ .
You can, but where did whatever abrasive material that was in the bore before you pulled the snake through go? I never reuse a patch. Putting a bore snake in a bag doesn't clean it. Maybe if you wash a bore snake after each use it wuold be abrasive free but that's more effort than using fresh patches.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

They're great as a fallback out in the field.

But, they aren't a replacement for a proper rod and bore guide.

-- richard
Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM

I'll estimate I shoot 100 rounds every other month and clean with the snake afterwards using Weaponshield, Prolix, or other similar CLP. I clean the snake afterwards, dry it, and pop it back in the original plastic packaging. I clean with rod and patches once a year. This is with all of my barrels, none of which is a premium custom. Used to use rod and patches everytime, but then realized it took longer to get them shooting accurately again!

Just googled this up, from calguns:

"The military may use CLP to clean their bores but that is for reasons of convenience and logistics. Military snipers do not use CLP to clean bolt guns.
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...4431#650104431

That was in reference to teflon which, when used in the CLP, could leave an undesirable residue.

Last edited by carbinero; 06-16-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Used mine pretty religiously for years. For a shotgun I don't see any reason to use anything other than a boresnake. Once I switched over to shooting solid copper ETips I noticed the boresnake was not getting the copper out. I now use the old rod and jags about every 3 or 4 trips just to get the bore back to bare metal.

The boresnake is great at the range and during break in of a barrel it's so much quicker to swab the barrel out. I also believe that all that surface area helps cool down a barrel. I think they're great for light cleaning and keeping carbon build up down which should make copper removal easier. Add in a good cleaning with standard tools every now and then and you should be fine. If they get dirty just toss them in the washer in a mesh "lingerie" bag.