Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bore cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bore cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I tried KG 1 & 12. When KG12 showed clean patches, BTE got out a good bit more copper.
I've seen a number of reviews of bore cleaner over the past few months. I haven't kept count, but there's at least 3 combinations I've seen, where the first bore cleaner removes a lot, but the second one always removed more. It makes me wonder if the process was reversed, would the last one still remove more copper. Has anyone tried this to see what would happen?
I'd try it, but I'm a tightwad. Some of you probably already have 6-8 of these cleaners & they'd be able to conduct this experiment.
I know I don't want to use Sweets or any other cleaner with ammonia for one simple reason. With a severe A.D.D. problem, I get distracted very easily, & do not want to ruin a bore on a new rifle because I let it sit for several hours or more with a ammoniated cleaner in the bore.
Presently, I'm using Wipe-Out along with the Accelerator, after I've run a brush through the bore with Hoppe's in & out twice and enough patches alternating between wet & dry until the patches come out nearly spotless . I always allow it to sit at least 12 hours plus, with the barrel slightly tilted down. I always get a very deep blue which runs out of the bore after I remove a gas check as a plug. It seems to do an excellent job, but I'm always open to someone else's experiences. I'm never in a hurry though. I can always load ammo for my next session
I also recently bought "Losso Nylex" bore brushes which should help a little more to eliminate wear.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post
I've seen a number of reviews of bore cleaner over the past few months. I haven't kept count, but there's at least 3 combinations I've seen, where the first bore cleaner removes a lot, but the second one always removed more. It makes me wonder if the process was reversed, would the last one still remove more copper. Has anyone tried this to see what would happen?
I'd try it, but I'm a tightwad. Some of you probably already have 6-8 of these cleaners & they'd be able to conduct this experiment.
I know I don't want to use Sweets or any other cleaner with ammonia for one simple reason. With a severe A.D.D. problem, I get distracted very easily, & do not want to ruin a bore on a new rifle because I let it sit for several hours or more with a ammoniated cleaner in the bore.
Presently, I'm using Wipe-Out along with the Accelerator, after I've run a brush through the bore with Hoppe's in & out twice and enough patches alternating between wet & dry until the patches come out nearly spotless . I always allow it to sit at least 12 hours plus, with the barrel slightly tilted down. I always get a very deep blue which runs out of the bore after I remove a gas check as a plug. It seems to do an excellent job, but I'm always open to someone else's experiences. I'm never in a hurry though. I can always load ammo for my next session
I also recently bought "Losso Nylex" bore brushes which should help a little more to eliminate wear.
Yup, tried it both ways. BTE got it out when KG left some behind and BTE doesn't leave it any behind if you do it thoroughly. A bore scope has proved that.

Wipeout is good to. It just takes longer, but then there's less patches and scrubbing. If I'm not in a hurry, Wipeout is a good way to go.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Yup, tried it both ways. BTE got it out when KG left some behind and BTE doesn't leave it any behind if you do it thoroughly. A bore scope has proved that.

Wipeout is good to. It just takes longer, but then there's less patches and scrubbing. If I'm not in a hurry, Wipeout is a good way to go.
I clean pretty thoroughly, generally about 16-18 patches worth & brushing at 2 separate times. I always figger after brushing the first time & allowing it to sit overnight, maybe brushing again the next day would be a good idea with a Losso brush, just to insure I get everything I can in the corners of the grooves. Perhaps KG-12 would be better for cleaning at the range instead of Hoppe's. KG-1 may also do better for carbon at the range. This cleaning thing, is a ritual I never used to do 40 years ago, but I was just a kid then.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Last edited by TracySes23; 08-09-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Typos