Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bore cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bore cleaning

I have looked all over for wipeout locally to no avail.

I was using Sweets followed by Hydrogen Peroxide.

I bought a used rifle and it had had a lot of moly bullets through it.

I came back from the range this past week and wanted to do a thorough cleaning. I had done cleaning at the range every 25-30 shots but consistancy was not as good as it should have been in my opinion.

So I started cleaning and as I was doing so I found that there were layers of copper and moly. Or at least that is what I think I observed. I kept up the regime until I got no more sign of copper on the patches but I noticed that there was still copper in the grooves.

I read on the GunJuice Thread that MontanaRifleman started that he had used Gunslick foam and felt it similar to wipeout and Gunslick is available locally.

I did a couple applications and it is completely copper free. I would use Wipeout but I have not gotten around to ordering it online yet.

But the Gunslick seems to be effective and similarily does not have noxious odor.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

I will have to try the Gunslick foam. My concern is with using brass jags. Would the solvent eat them and lead to false blue signs on the patch? I noticed the Tipton Ultra jags and they are nickel coated. Would they be a better choice? I currently use Dewey brass jags.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

I really like the Montana X-Treme Patch Grabber, I like long jags so the patch doesn't lock up on the rod and I like the point, it holds the patches real well. You can really scrub without loosing the patch. Brass only!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

I think it was in an article on 6mmbr that they mentyioned the nickle jags from Tipton. They are on my short list to aquire.....
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Wipeout is a good product but I found Gunslick to be just about the same and it costs less and can be found locally. For products like Wipeout and Gunslick foam cleaner, brass jags are ok because you patch them out with dry patches. but when using wet patches of a strong copper solvent I use the Tipton nickel plated jags. Keep in mind nickel is harder than steel so use them carefully. Also, there is a liquid Gunslick product called Gunslick Copper Kleenz. It is pretty much wothless. I also gave Montana Xtreme 50 BMG a try and it got out most of the copper but just would not get all of it out, even with 20-30 min soakings. When it stopped showing copper residue, I put somem BTE down the bore and let it sit for about 20 min and got a dark blue patch. And 50 BMG is a potent ammonia mixture.

I've read a lot of good stuff about KG12 and KG1 and will be giving them a try because they are suposed to do in 15 min what Wipeout can do in 8 hrs.

Mark
Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

I found "Wipe-Out" on Amazon & Midway USA.

Spencer
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Shooter View Post
My concern is with using brass jags. Would the solvent eat them and lead to false blue signs on the patch? I noticed the Tipton Ultra jags and they are nickel coated. Would they be a better choice? I currently use Dewey brass jags.
The answer to your question about eating the brass jags. Yes, the jags are very much effected with any product that will remove copper. Been there - done that. Look down in the groves of a jag that has been used with copper remover and you may even see some green color.

There are 2 alternatives I know if you want to continue using your brass jags.

1) Buy a gallon of winter windex from Walmart or whomever. When you are through using your jag, swirl the tip in the winter windex and it will neutralize the copper solvent. Takes 2 seconds and I've been using the same gallon for years. In fact I take the winterized windex to the range when I break in a barrel as I use the one shot and clean system.

2) Go to any discount store and buy yourself a small rattle can of clear acylic coating. Clean your used jags well, preferable with rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush. Spray your jags with the acylic sealer and let dry. This is not a forever solution as the coating does wear off with time and every year I give my jags a fresh coat.
PS: I coat my jags and still dip/swirl them in winter style windex to neutralize any copper solvent.

I have a complete set of the Tipton nickel plated jags but much prefer a good quality brass jag. IMO, the Tipton nickel jags are too short and just not the quality of most brass jags, plus I think Tipton needs a better quality point on the end of their nickel plated jags.