Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bore cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Bore cleaning

I mostly use Wipeout and Break-Free foam cleaners. What is your process and what solvent(s) do you use? I have also used CR-10 with good success. I use Dewey rods and bore guide.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bore cleaning

I use a Tipton graphite rod and Mike Lucas bore guides. I do use Wipeout but started to switch over to Patch Out with the Accelerator as well. The Patch Out does the same job with less mess. Occasionally I would get the Wipeout a little to close to the action and made for more cleanup. After sufficient set time, once or twice, depending on fouling, I will use TM Solution or Hoppes #9 for some final cleanup. With these, I typically swab the bore and place them muzzle down on a clean white sock. This also helps get the Patch Out removed from the bore. I hardly ever brush anymore, maybe once or twice a year. I got tired of getting them too clean and taking way too long for them to settle down again. With the selection of good products that are available today, I don't think brushing is as important as it once was.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Wipeout is the way I rock it, I give it one shot and let it have a half hour then patch it and give it another shot and give it an other half hour then I check to see that I got the heavy crud out, I don't strip down to steel. I recently added a couple passes with Kroil also. I really like it cause I can tinker around the reloading room without gassing myself out with smelly stuff that doesn't work nearly as well, and Wipeout is real safe around the family also. Haven't uses a brush since!!!
Tipton rods also, one long one for the bore and a pistol one with a shotgun mop for cleaning the chamber and action.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Bronze Member

What kind of jags do you use? Is it better not to use brass jags and use something like the coated Tipton ones?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Gold Member

I use the Tipton brass jags. I bought the kit that covers about every caliber. Use a good quality patch, Sinclair are probably the best. With a good quality patch, you will have to use one size/caliber smaller jag.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

I start with a few patches of GM Top Engine, let sit for about 20mins. and follow with a couple of dry ones. I usually do that about 2 times or more untill the is no powder residue left and the patches come out a turquoise color from a little copper. I follow that up with the Wipeout with a patch of the Accellerator first. That takes care of everything for me. I usually clean about every 25-30rds.. I use Tipton rods and Proshot jags.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Put me on the list of Wipe-out users as well. The cleaning rod I use is a Hoppes coated rod. I use a tipton SS jag and on the odd ocassion I use a brush I have the Montana Extreme nylon brushes. Anymore the use of wipeout has purged me from the brush, there is just no need it seems.
I start out running two patches soaked with accelerator and then give it a "two potato" shot of the wipeout foaming bore cleaner. Let it sit for about a half hour, run two dry patches thru it and do it all over again. I set my rifle up so the barrel is pointing down while I let it soak, that way all the crude drains out the muzzle and not into the action. Once in a while I will swab the barrel with a patch of Benchrest Number Nine and let it sit over night. Doing the above I cant get my barrels much cleaner.

Heres a question. Does anyone have trouble finding Wipe-out anywhere else but online? I go to any number of local gun shops, hunting supply, shooting stores and ask for "foaming bore cleaner called wipe out" and I usually get a look like I have a third leg. One guy told me there was no such thing. I guess I get the last laugh as they brush their barrels into smooth bores.