Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Borden bumps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Borden bumps.

Brent,
I agree with everything you said. Most smiths who sleeve Remmy bolts do it front and back, hence the no clearance thing. Actually a better way than tig would be have hard chrome spattered on for the bumps.
Chris
Old 01-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

it would seem like a guy could file a ellipse
onto the sleeved bolt with the major dia being where the bolt locked and the minor being set for bolt cycling.

there was a article in ps shooter sept issue i believe and the gun smith mentioned bolt sleeving changed gun accuarcy from a 1/2min
to 1/4min wiht nothing else being done
just a thought
Old 01-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Chris,
Do you feel the chrome thickness would be controlable? Machineable if it was too thick?

I'm not sure plating a section at the rear would be thick enough, this would be a better alternative than soldered/epoxied on bushings if it was, or you could build it up with several treatments.

Still I think, the bumps would be better than a tight tolerance full circle build up.

Fluting the bolt in this area in the right places, then plating it is an idea, if you can control the plating thickness and get it thick enough. Nickel or chrome, that would be nice and hard. Flashy though.

I breifly read that PS article, one in the rag mags on bushings here recently too. I don't see how one could claim .25 MOA increase in accuracy with such a mod, who knows, it just don't add up to me tho. They did say they did it with "two" rifles (3/4" to 1" rifle down to a 1/2" rifle), no other things done. Well, they also said they only guarantee 3 shot 3/8" groups heavier recoiling hunting chamberings, that's with ALL the accurizing they do to them. It seems they don't have that much faith in their findings that "it" alone adds that much accuracy, or they attribute it to "most" of the improvement in the total accuracy job... I don't particularly like the way they cut the receiver threads either.

Bushing it, or what ever certainly can't hurt accuracy and that's the only reason I'd do it. There's a better way than bushings IMHO though. I never was too impressed with the design, or putting them in the front. Ya never know though...
Old 01-14-2004, 12:40 AM
Gold Member

Brent,
Bushing a Remmy does not give any clearance whilke working the bolt. The Bumps do, only coming into play when the bolt is closed. Besides, I don't want four pieces of metal soft soldered to my bolt to fail and they will fail under feild conditions.
Fat Boy is right- it's not cost effective either.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Brent,
The spattering can be controlled to my understanding. Then trurned down. Marty at Badger and I have talked about it several times and he said that's the way he would do it. The chrome could be bead blasted and tefloned also.
As far as accuracy, I build rifles that average 1/4 MOA on trued up Remmy actions, no sleeves, bumps etc... I seriously doubt they would turn them into 1/8 MOA by sleeving them.
Build a ton of rifles on Nesika's with the Borden bumps. They shoot 1/4 MOA also. Although the BR gun I built last week in .222 is holding in the ones during break-in. The bumps are good, but they will wear down...
Small part of the big picture.
Chris
Old 01-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

I think the harder platings would be good, but if the spattering bonds like some platings I've seen on items, I'd be concerened about it peeling of flaking off is all.

I know a guy who does coatings and platings, but he sends the plating jobs out some place so I'm not sure he's got that much insight on the bonding/flaking machining end of it to really know what to expect.

It'd be nice to get 1/8 MOA from doing this. Reality? I doubt it's even close.

It would be nice to know how much it adds to accuracy, if any, but to me, the only way one could test it is with 5 or more rifles trued and with everything else perfect and showing a consistant base line agg, otherwise what have you really learned?