Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

I wish that Sierra still made their big 155 gr SMK. That bullet with this tip would have had a great BC, plenty of bullet weight and affordable in price.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I wish that Sierra still made their big 155 gr SMK. That bullet with this tip would have had a great BC, plenty of bullet weight and affordable in price.

Dang, that would be slick wouldn't it. I had forgotten about the 155 SMK.

t

Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Hornady still offers the 160 gr Interlock .. although it does not have a boat tail and the round nose looks a bit short and abrupt in ogive taper giving it a long bearing surface .....
would this bullet be a candidate ? It has an impressive SD but could use some help with a bc upgrade

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....-image.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Dont forget the Woodleigh bullet. It actually shoots great in my 6.5WSM as is..

MM
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

There is close to an endless list of potential bullets that we can improve on. The trick is in the process so that all can be modified with these tips.

Oh, and the time to do it......

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby.....ain't it fun! you sound like my kinda guy I started making my own bullets about 7 or 8 years ago and soon realized the need for a ballistic tip. The first ones I changed were my own. I stole the tips out of my 17 HMR ammo (hornady) and figured out a way to insert them into my bullets in the final point forming process. The results were amazing not only with b.c. but long range performance (expansion). I also made rebated boatails with secant ogives out of SMK's and added a ballistic tip to them as well. It makes an entirely different animal out a std. SMK! I think you are really on to something as MOST of the so called long range hunting bullets fall short because they lack low end expansion and when you can add b.c. to boot; why not! I use a jacket serrator in mine as well when I really want them to open easily. Some of the bullet makers use a lead allow to help control expansion rather than do it with a thicker jacket but this is not the correct approach IMO. I like the solid lead cores which are more mallable and yet expand easier. Keep up the good work!.....rich
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
The trick is in the process so that all can be modified with these tips.

Oh, and the time to do it......
"these tips" ???

Someone needs to come up with other choices! And that isn't easy, or inexpensive or non-time consuming. I know!

One tip fits all isn't the best solution to boosting bc. Fitting Corbin's AL tips replaces heavier lead and jacket material aluminum. The smaller the caliber the more heavier material with lighter material.

My bc boost efforts (successful ones ) were with a brass point with a press fit stepped shank into Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips. Base of the point is 0.182" and a meplate of 0.030"

Brass is a bit heavier than aluminum resulting 130/140/150 retipped being nearly 9 grains heavier.

Also $0.85 each is a bit much. One of us had some made and ended up with a $0.77 each cost which in my opinion is also too steep for the typical LR shooter.

Having said that if one of you "Sharks " chips in $15,000.00 I get you more brass tips/points than could ever be use of a specific design. That's the best quote I could get However, I haven't given up. . .