Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

Cool. Thanks Gun Yoda.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

No Yoda, just another gun nut like everyone else on here, just take a few steps further at times......

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Oh I don't know about that..... Smart one, you are! Build guns, you do! Create your own calibers, you did!

Sorry, I had to. Hahahaha!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

Fifty,

I have been considering altering factory bullets for several years and your developments are definately a wealth of info and quite timely as well...

I want to purchase a mini lathe specifically for working on bullets, just don't know if this is sufficient for that process...

If you have some time, could you look over the specs on the mini lathe by Grizzly Industrial in the link provided, I need an experts determination if it will work for altering bullets in the process you described....

Thanks for the help.....

Grizzly.comŽ -- Online Catalog

PS..........how about the mini milling machine ?

Grizzly.comŽ -- Online Catalog
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....-g8688.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Swamplord; 03-20-2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

My only concern about that small mini lathe is the amount of clamping pressure the chuck has and if it would hold up over long term use. Also, would be curious what the repeatability of that chuck is. If you have to dial in the chuck everytime you insert a bullet to work on, it would take forever to get many bullets modified.

My custom 6 jaw chuck on my lathe is repeatable to 0.0003" so onces its dialed in, it stays as close to perfect as you would ever need. The factory 3 jaw chuck that came with my lathe would not hold repeatability much better then 0.0015". Is that good enough..... Thats the individuals call, not mine.

If the 3 jaw chuck has good repeatability and is made well enough to handle the high volume of work, it would work fine I would think. Personally, I would step up to the next size bigger then this very light mini lathe.

In lathes, weight means consistancy and at 90 lbs there could be alot of flexing going on with that lathe.

Just things to consider.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Fiftydriver,

Thank you for taking the time to review the mini-lathe ...

I appreciate your blunt honesty in your assessment of it .

I suspected it may be too much of a good thing, due to it's size and cheap price...
You get what you pay for really applies here ..

Will look at a few of the bigger models and do some more shopping around...

any recommendations from you would be cool !
My intentions are specifically for modifying bullets as you have shown, for my own personal use and high volume production is not necessary, I'd be happy to turn out 20 bullets during a weekend of tinkering ...

Another bullet I would like to add to my list is the Norma Oryx , specifically the 156 gr 6.5mm bullet ...

that bullet with the aluminum tip would give your 6.5 AM and my 6.5 PRO a huge ballistic edge downrange... my 6.5 wildcat shares almost an identical case capacity as yours except its on a necked down 300 Norma Mag case, (104.6 gr h20 cap)

3400 -3500 fps with a 156 gr 6.5mm high BC bonded bullet would be something awesome !!

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
... 6.5 AM and my 6.5 PRO a huge ballistic edge downrange... my 6.5 wildcat shares almost an identical case capacity as yours except its on a necked down 300 Norma Mag case, (104.6 gr h20 cap)

3400 -3500 fps with a 156 gr 6.5mm high BC bonded bullet would be something awesome !!

Ummm... YES please !

Thanks Kirby for sharing that with us, I look forward to your results.

t