Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

Very interesting Kirby, nice to see some one else mucking around with projectiles
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yeah, I don't load my 7Mags quite that hot..... LOL I do load my 7STW a little wildcatty sometimes, when load testing.

What's your personal opinion, since I got you on the horn.....A precision whitetail and shooting rifle capable at 1000, but will mostly shoot 100-600 majority of it's life......280 Ackley Improved, or another 7STW? I'm in a pickle trying to figure out which one I want. I love shooting my STW, but brass is as expensive as .280 AI, but you get 1/2 as much for the money (25 vs 50 pcs). Plus getting good Nosler brass is hard for the STW right now. I can still find .280 AI 40* Nosler brass...

I have had my STW for 11 years now, and know it fairly well. I am mainly interested in the .280AI b/c it is a non-magnum .284 with magnum ballistics. So, any info is greatly appreciated.
This might suprise some but I am not a huge fan of Nolser brass. Love their bullets, not their brass. Not that its bad but I personally think its very costly for what you get and spending a bit of time on the loading bench will get you as good of brass using Rem or Win brand cases.

That said, for 0 to 600 yard shooting, either would work great, 280 offers longer barrel life but the STW offers less worry about the wind out to 600, no question.

The 280 AI will match most factory loaded ammo in the 7mm Rem Mag with same bullet weights but thats because most factory loaded 7mm Rem Mag loads are down loaded to make the 7mm STW or 7mm RUM look better then they are. In reality, if you handload, the 7mm Rem Mag will do anything the 7mm Wby Mag can do so it will run a solid 150 fps over the 280 AI with good handloads. Still the 280 AI is very potent for a 0.470 diameter case head chambering and great barrel life. In the end, not a bad choice between the two. I tend to error on the higher performance level personally but I know someone to replace barrels if thats needed.....

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
Very interesting Kirby, nice to see some one else mucking around with projectiles
I needed another project...............

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
This might suprise some but I am not a huge fan of Nolser brass. Love their bullets, not their brass. Not that its bad but I personally think its very costly for what you get and spending a bit of time on the loading bench will get you as good of brass using Rem or Win brand cases.

That said, for 0 to 600 yard shooting, either would work great, 280 offers longer barrel life but the STW offers less worry about the wind out to 600, no question.

The 280 AI will match most factory loaded ammo in the 7mm Rem Mag with same bullet weights but thats because most factory loaded 7mm Rem Mag loads are down loaded to make the 7mm STW or 7mm RUM look better then they are. In reality, if you handload, the 7mm Rem Mag will do anything the 7mm Wby Mag can do so it will run a solid 150 fps over the 280 AI with good handloads. Still the 280 AI is very potent for a 0.470 diameter case head chambering and great barrel life. In the end, not a bad choice between the two. I tend to error on the higher performance level personally but I know someone to replace barrels if thats needed.....
I didn't see that shamelss plug coming......

Seriously though, that's good info to hear. So basically for barre life, and case life, you recomment the 280AI over another STW. That's good, since that's the direction I was leaning towards, since I already have an STW.

Thanks for the info Kirby. And sorry for de-railing the thread. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I didn't see that shamelss plug coming......

Seriously though, that's good info to hear. So basically for barre life, and case life, you recomment the 280AI over another STW. That's good, since that's the direction I was leaning towards, since I already have an STW.

Thanks for the info Kirby. And sorry for de-railing the thread. LOL

Yep, no problem.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Silver Member

Fifty,

Have you considered working on the Swift A-Frame ? that bullet seriously needs a bc upgrade,
If the A-Frame had the profile of at least the Scirrocco, I believe it would be the best hunting bullet on the planet.

I have a lot of experience with the 30 cal 180 gr and 200 gr both on game and targets, it is a very accurate bullet and performance on game is unmatched, every bull moose I shot with the A-Frames was impressive DRT, including brown and black bear....the 200 grain bullet "improved" would get a lot of my dollars !

I think the 275 gr 338 cal A-Frame bullet would also benefit greatly from your treatment and also make me a customer,
of course so would the 300 gr 375 cal...

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Fifty,

Have you considered working on the Swift A-Frame ? that bullet seriously needs a bc upgrade,
If the A-Frame had the profile of at least the Scirrocco, I believe it would be the best hunting bullet on the planet.

I have a lot of experience with the 30 cal 180 gr and 200 gr both on game and targets, it is a very accurate bullet and performance on game is unmatched, every bull moose I shot with the A-Frames was impressive DRT, including brown and black bear....the 200 grain bullet "improved" would get a lot of my dollars !

I think the 275 gr 338 cal A-Frame bullet would also benefit greatly from your treatment and also make me a customer,
of course so would the 300 gr 375 cal...
I had not thought about the Swift A-Frame until you mentioned it but after looking at several of them, I beleive they would all work very well with this aluminum tip.

My only concern is that when the tip is driven into the core of the bullet, it may contact the partition inside the bullet and stress it. Not sure if this stress would be enough to rupture the partition but if it did, penetration would suffer significantly.

The profile of the bullet would match up with the aluminum tip pretty well I beleive and should add alot of length to the bullet, just like it does with the TSX bullets so there should be a sizable increase in BC.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com