Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Would you be willing to share your method for coating the bullets. I am familiar with WS2 grease. Did you manage to obtain powder and what is your source ?

I've been playing with this stuff since the late 90's early 2000's....... a good friend was a benchrest shooter and gunsmith, he loved competing with 22 PPC and 6mm PPC BR guns he built himself,
he used to tell me the only way to improve a 6mm Berger was to coat it with Danzac, (WS2 powdered tungsten disulfide) I was using CT Ballistic Silvertips with amazing accuracy out of my factory hunting rifles then started using tunsgsten disulfide powder to coat all my bullets.....

I purchased 2 lbs of the stuff back then and 1 tsp will coat about 1000 bullets, it goes a long way.. the old timer passed away 2 years ago, I'm sure you can hit somebody up at BR Central and find it there, the BR crowd has the most experience with it, I'm just a hunter in Alaska that likes to shoot tiny groups at high velocity and so far and for so long it has worked very well for me...
I made a few reports on it back in 2004 but it fell on deaf ears as most were using moly at the time and didn't particularly care for my results... it was asked again recently and I updated the info here ....

Lazzeroni Warbird

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Kirby, would it be possible to do this with the 7mm 180gr Berger VLD's? If not, that's cool, but I am just curious what that would look like, and if it would help out, even though those bullets already retain just a high BC and long-distance stabilization.

Also, would it be possible to try it on a 7mm 160gr Accubond?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
Kirby

Since bearing surface consistency is critical to downrange accuracy, it follows that those bullets that control this parameter the best would be the most accurate. Is Berger then the most accurate of the major bullet makers at long range?
They are one of the best for sure. Its simple to get a baring surface measuring device however and sort your bullets of any make which will tighten up down range consistancy. What you see downrange with baring surface variation is vertical variation in impact. Sorting your bullets by baring surface length will tighten up this vertical variation downrange.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey Kirby, would it be possible to do this with the 7mm 180gr Berger VLD's? If not, that's cool, but I am just curious what that would look like, and if it would help out, even though those bullets already retain just a high BC and long-distance stabilization.

Also, would it be possible to try it on a 7mm 160gr Accubond?
Yes but I am not sure you would get any real benefit because the Berger VLDs use a more aggressive ogive design then these tips do. Plus, you may get into some serious over expansion issues as well with the Berger bullet.

I will be testing the 160 gr Accubond very soon with these tips and it should work great. Another option is the Sierra 175 gr SPBT and Sierra 175 and 180 gr SMK bullets which are known to be a bit lacking in expansion at long range, these tips should really boost BC on those 7mm bullets and improve long range expansion as well.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Yes but I am not sure you would get any real benefit because the Berger VLDs use a more aggressive ogive design then these tips do. Plus, you may get into some serious over expansion issues as well with the Berger bullet.

I will be testing the 160 gr Accubond very soon with these tips and it should work great. Another option is the Sierra 175 gr SPBT and Sierra 175 and 180 gr SMK bullets which are known to be a bit lacking in expansion at long range, these tips should really boost BC on those 7mm bullets and improve long range expansion as well.
Thanks for the info Kirb....You tha man! Let me know your findings with those 7mm 160 AB's in a 7mmRM. That is what I shoot for whitetails if I don't shoot my .257 Wby Mag. Also, if they work good and you could make a few, let me know how much it would cost to have a box of 50 done....I already have about 6-7 new unopened boxes of them laying around that I could send you 1 of, for having this done.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Thanks for the info Kirb....You tha man! Let me know your findings with those 7mm 160 AB's in a 7mmRM. That is what I shoot for whitetails if I don't shoot my .257 Wby Mag. Also, if they work good and you could make a few, let me know how much it would cost to have a box of 50 done....I already have about 6-7 new unopened boxes of them laying around that I could send you 1 of, for having this done.
I shoot the 160 gr Accubond out of my personal 7mm Allen Magnum as well so will be testing them in that rifle. Standard 160s are clipping out at a somewhat reduced load of 3450 fps since this rifle is based on a Rem 700 receiver.

That same chambering in my Raptor rifles will do 100 fps more and show less pressure then the loads I am using now in the Rem 700. Anyway, I am hoping to see BCs jump into the mid .6 range with the tip added to the 160 gr Accubond. A .650 BC bullet clipping along at nearly 3500 fps always puts a smile on my face!!!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I don't load my 7Mags quite that hot..... LOL I do load my 7STW a little wildcatty sometimes, when load testing.

What's your personal opinion, since I got you on the horn.....A precision whitetail and shooting rifle capable at 1000, but will mostly shoot 100-600 majority of it's life......280 Ackley Improved, or another 7STW? I'm in a pickle trying to figure out which one I want. I love shooting my STW, but brass is as expensive as .280 AI, but you get 1/2 as much for the money (25 vs 50 pcs). Plus getting good Nosler brass is hard for the STW right now. I can still find .280 AI 40* Nosler brass...

I have had my STW for 11 years now, and know it fairly well. I am mainly interested in the .280AI b/c it is a non-magnum .284 with magnum ballistics. So, any info is greatly appreciated.

Quote: