Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Boosting BC of commerical bullets.....

I have been so busy with customer projects I have not had much time to do any personal testing. Hope to get some time here in the next couple weeks.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

I'm ready to order a Lathe. Just waiting for your positive results...
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Been so busy scrambling on customer orders I have not had time to do any of my personal testing. Not sure when I will have time to do any until around springtime.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

So for you that are adding tips, and have done this quite a bit. Once set up and going how long would it take you to do 1000 bullets? With utmost accuracy and consistency of course. I am just trying to get an idea of time needed for the average annual number of bullets I use from a long range rig. The of course I will look at cost.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

If you get the tooling figured out to do this on a drill press, I would be interested.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
So for you that are adding tips, and have done this quite a bit. Once set up and going how long would it take you to do 1000 bullets? With utmost accuracy and consistency of course. I am just trying to get an idea of time needed for the average annual number of bullets I use from a long range rig. The of course I will look at cost.

Jeff
I have not fine tuned my process to the point that every bullet tipped was up to our standards for tip straightness but from what I have done, I would say that it would take around an hour per 100 bullets with my current system to set up bullet, face off tip, drill core to accept aluminum tip, ream drill holeto 1-2 thou press fit for the tip post and then to press the tip into the bullet.

Again, nothing fine tuned and I suspect that it could be sped up even more then this but this is just an estimate from the limited work I have done so far.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
If you get the tooling figured out to do this on a drill press, I would be interested.
Best method would be to develop a system that would use a bullet press or loading press to swage the meplat open to accept the aluminum tip and then run that tipped bullet through a bullet ogive and meplat forming die to form the ogive and tip together for a clean flush fit. That however would not be cheap but would be by far the easiest to use and likely the method that offered the best results.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com