Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A-Bolt Vs X-Bolt, Boss or no, Wood or synthetic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: A-Bolt Vs X-Bolt, Boss or no, Wood or synthetic

Good luck with your decision. Either way you go will be a good choice. In my opinion, with the experience I have with the two, I would go with the wood stock.

I do have a friend that has the same abolt as mine, sythetic stock and all, and his shoots great. I could never group better than 4" @ 100yds with mine. (with synthetic stock) So I am not in disagreement with caleb either. I just got a bad one I think.

Have fun
Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Does anybody have any comments on a sako a7 synthetic?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Had a couple A bolts and liked them really well, one had a boss one didn't. I personally didn't like the boss system very well. The boss gun was very loud and didn't shoot as well as the gun without the boss but the recoil was greatly diminished. If you want a brake I would have a good gunsmith install a traditional non-adjustable brake but like others have stated I don't think the noise trade-off is anywhere near worth it on a 30-06.

All that being said about the A bolts, if I were going for a new Browning I would try the X-bolt. I have not shot one but I like the way they feel compared to the A bolt and I have heard good things about them. I am actually toying with the idea of a 300 WSM X bolt stainless stalker for the upcoming deer season.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

About the Sako....everyone feel free to correct me because this is just a suspicion of mine but Tikka used to make a good rifle. Sako bought Tikka. Beretta then bought Sako. Sako still manufactures an excellent bunch of rifles to their specs and once they were bought by Beretta I think the quality of the Tikka fell. I'm not too sure to who's specs the A7 is built to, but it's definitely a "budget" Sako. Maybe it fits your budget, but I was told by a gun smith that if you own an A7 and tell people you shoot a Sako, its only fair to specify that its an A7. I would get the Browning.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

I would stick with the Brownings. I have put a few rounds through an A7 and it shot and handled very well but it is definitely the cheaper entry level Sako. The fit and finish are not up to par with the X-bolt in my opinion. I'm not sure what it is like where you live but you never see the A7 around here and would not be as easy to get rid of if you were not happy with it.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Vote for the A-Bolt picked up the hunter in 300RUM and it shoos great!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

I didn't know they were chambering the 300RUM. I just checked one out on their site, they look good. I couldn't find one in the x bolts. (I didn't look very hard) They are doing some cool stuff with the a bolts now.