Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A-Bolt Vs X-Bolt, Boss or no, Wood or synthetic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

A-Bolt Vs X-Bolt, Boss or no, Wood or synthetic

Hey all,
This is for all you people who have shot brownings. I used to own a browning A-bolt hunter which I liked. I am looking to get a new gun for hunting. I know other rifles may be better, but this is what the gun shop carries at decent prices (remingtons are jacked up like crazy in price) and they do not carry weatherbys. They do carry some savages which I will be looking at today, but for sake of this thread I wanted input on things like:
1.)A-bolt vs X-bolt?
2.)Wood vs synthetic stock? I do not need it to look great so not even considering hi-gloss "pretty" finishes. More concerned about accuracy and how long they both would last if taken care of, keep in mind that it will get bumped around in the woods.
3.)Is the BOSS system a gimmick? Does it work? I will NOT be reloading. I will be shooting 30.06 so lots of rounds to choose from.
4.) Barrel finish...stainless, blued...etc.?

I would like to keep price down, but if something is worth an extra 100 bucks or so...I might consider it. I already have a nice scope and leupold rings. Need bases, would like to be able to re-use my rings.
All opinions welcomed.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: A-Bolt Vs X-Bolt, Boss or no, Wood or synthetic

I like the A Bolt II Long Range Hunters with the Laminate stock. Im not sure if they come in 30-06, but they look nice. I have an A-Bolt Composite Stalker 25-06 that is almost 20 years old and has killed close to 100 animals, and is still one of my favorite, go-to guns.

I prefere A bolts. I like synthetic, and laminate stocks for hunting over walnut.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I like the A Bolt II Long Range Hunters with the Laminate stock. Im not sure if they come in 30-06, but they look nice. I have an A-Bolt Composite Stalker 25-06 that is almost 20 years old and has killed close to 100 animals, and is still one of my favorite, go-to guns.

I prefere A bolts. I like synthetic, and laminate stocks for hunting over walnut.
Have you shot the x-bolt? If so, what did you like about the A-bolt better? I use to own an A-bolt and liked it, but have heard good things about the X-bolt as well. Do you have any comments of the BOSS system?
Thank you!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Bronze Member

I have an A bolt with a synthetic stock, and an X bolt with a wood stock. To me there is no comparison. X bolt with the wood stock takes the cake. It may be the most accurate rifle I own straight out of the box.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiltz View Post
I have an A bolt with a synthetic stock, and an X bolt with a wood stock. To me there is no comparison. X bolt with the wood stock takes the cake. It may be the most accurate rifle I own straight out of the box.
mhiltz...thanks for the info....do you like the X-bolt better because the whole design is better or because it has a wood stock or maybe the combo of the two is why...
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member

No, I have not shot a X Bolt. I guess I'm effected by the stigma that was cast on me by a lot of the back-chatter that went on bashing the XBolt when it came on the scene. I've read that it shoots absolutely great and operate smoother than the ABolt. Upon handling one in a store I noticed that it seemed less heavily built than an ABolt. The Abolt seems to have more steel with less "Savage rattle" for lack of a better term. I also don't like the "European" look or the proprietary scope mounting system. You might want to research this in case I'm wrong but I dont know if the BOSS is as readily available on the XBolt as it is on the Abolt. Personally I see no reason for a break on a 30-06, especially for as loud as they are. They do reduce recoil, and arent exactly a gimmick but unless you are dealing with ultra mag recoil, I wouldnt even consider it. Like I said, I'm a little prejudice, but I think either Browning will be fine and serve you well.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

I like the x bolt better because it shoots better than the a bolt, or at least it did. I can't say that an a bolt with a factory wood stock on it wouldn't perform the same though, because I have never shot one. I did put a laminate stock on the a bolt recently and now it shoots very good too. I guess I just didn't like the plastic stock on the abolt. If it was my decision, I would go with wood or laminate, over the synthetic stock.

To answer the next question- It took a little time to get used to the looks of the x bolt, but I came to really like the looks of it because it performs so well in the field. Both are good looking rifles.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1345065021